Introduction and requesting advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joyce and Kallie, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joyce and Kallie

Joyce and Kallie Member

Hi
    My cat, Kallie was diagnosed yesterday. I haven’t started insulin. According to Dr. Pierson, you can wait 3-5 days after changing diet and get your cat re-tested. I have already used a human meter - ReliOn Prime with success. Kallie’s result was 141. From what I have read the range on human meters is 50-120. 141 doesn’t seem horribly bad and I wonder if I can wait a little longer to get her to-tested. She will start on the new homemade food today. (I’m up way too late!).

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Great that you’re already hometesting!!! If Kallie is feeling fine and vet said there were no ketones, then yes, switch food now. Good luck I hope the switch is all that is needed. Keep us posted and come to the Main Health Forum to ask any questions you have.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Joyce. If you are switching her from a high-carb to a low-carb, raw food diet, I would be surprised if her numbers didn't change. As far as the time frame, I would just keep testing her blood glucose levels to see what's going on once you switch her diet. You may find the BG levels gradually, or even suddenly going down. You may not need to give her insulin. And post over on the main Health form, and you can get some help as far as whether you should start or whether you should just dose her in small amounts. And I can't believe you're already able to test her! That's a big part of this journey, and one that many members, including myself, struggled with. So to directly answer your question - if her numbers continue to go down steadily, you could probably wait longer than a few days to begin. Giving insulin while her numbers are dropping could be dangerous, because she may not need as much insulin and could have a hypo incident.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  4. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome! You might be one of the lucky few and only need the food change, fingers crossed. After a few days on low carb be sure to check Kallie after a 2 hour fast to get accurate number not affected by food.

Good you are testing. Even if insulin ends up not being needed, you should check her occasionally to make sure she is looking good.

How was it that diabetes was diagnosed? Was it just one high reading at the vet? The combo of high carb diet and stress of being at the vet would be enough to show a high number. Also any infection or inflammation such as needing teeth cleaned can also raise sugar.

5. Joyce and Kallie

Joyce and Kallie Member

Honestly, I don’t have the results from the vet. I took her in because I suspected diabetes because she was urinating a lot. I tried to talk to the Vet about switching her back on Dr. Pierson’s food permanently (I had been combining it with dry UTI food after two years on it without dry food. Making sure she got enough water.). My Vet didn’t want to look at the recipe I printed for her or talk with me about diet, other than to try to force me to put her on the expensive prescription dry food diet. I had a long wait before diabetes was confirmed and then I felt they were pushing me to immediate treatment without telling how serious or even the actual test results. I just quickly left because I was being overwhelmed without any discussion or consideration for my thoughts. I decided not to go back and go to a different Vet. I’m going back to pay for her and my dog’s visit and get the records today. Since the diagnosis, I’ve been giving her wet food, until I finish the large batch of homemade food today. This morning her BG was 183. It was diagnosed with the urine sample I brought and a blood test.
    Thanks for your input. Joyce

AliceMeowliss (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  6. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    So I saw this comment of yours on another post but thought maybe it would help to have it here to keep track.

I might suggest you call the vets in your area and find one that can support you testing at home! I would hate for you to have more vet fees trying new places.
    Everything on your intro post here indicates to me that you understand a lot already about what you're dealing with. If you can find a vet that can appreciate your home testing and not myopicly push prescription food, then you can use them as a tool for information and certain exams or testing for which you are not equipped. Then they are useful. But sadly, no, not all vets get it.

I think it sounds like you're doing really well so far! :)

When you're ready, you can also start asking questions on the main health forum here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.