introduction: George has IBD?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jssaustintx, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jssaustintx

jssaustintx New Member

George is 15 and on his honeymoon! To be honest I did post to an insulin group once so we aren't complete newcomers, but 9 months after our diabetes dx and of reading the site, I felt like a veteran. :) It was such a specific lantus question then, but now I don't know where to turn.

I won't bore you with all the details of the crazy ride we've had with diabetes, but we have been honeymooning since early December 2012 (dx March 2012). YAY- but, now we think George has IBD. There was some vomiting and some weight loss, right after a bout with neuropathy around the time he went into remission, despite good appetite. Tested negative for hyperthroid. I almost thought we were off the hook when the vomiting stopped and George gained 4 oz, but now he has had diarrhea for a couple of days. My understanding is IBD is really diagnosed with biopsies, but after everything we have been through (and yes, I mean both of us) I have decided not to pursue biopsies/endoscopy at the time. The vet was supportive and said it is not uncommon to just go ahead and treat for IBD with Budesonide, a steriod- but one that has had good results with diabetic cats, i.e. usually doesn't negatively impact BG. We JUST got off insulin though, so I am reluctant. I have heard diet can help. I see all the positive posts for raw, but to be honest- George doesn't love it and its really hard for me to manage/prepare in a way he will eat. I guess my primary question is if there are other canned hypoallergenic foods that are OK for diabetic cats? Fancy Feast actually helped get us where we are today, but I know its not the highest quality food around. My second question would be- should I just put him on the Budesonide or is there merit to trying a diet change first? Finally, is there a better forum for me and my IBD diabetic kitty within the forum?

Thanks y'all. I have been a quiet lurker, but this site has been such a blessing during the hard times. jssaustintx

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would try the budesonide. I have had two of my diabetic cats on budesonide with little if any effect on BGs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.