Introduction - Luke Skywalker

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nette Susan, Nov 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nette Susan

Nette Susan New Member

My Luke has been on Lantus over a year now. This all came on because of Salmonella Poisoning, last July. I almost lost another one feeding the same treats. He is now at 4 units in am & 2 1/2 at night. 12 hours apart. Doing very well & in his curve he gets down to 40 or a bit below.
    I have been reading the Facebook comments and also these great tips & because of all of this information he is doing well.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Having such a large variation AM and PM odes of Lantus is very unusual. One reason is the Lantus is a depot insulin and builds up in the body so such different doses interferes with establishing the loading of Lantus.
    How was the dose determined?
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb cannedhttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  3. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Welcome to the forum! Always glad to hear about a Jedi.
    Please tell us some more about your kitty. I see Larry already asked you one of the things I was curious about...

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi there and welcome! Is it Susan? Just wanted to say hello and to say that this forum is so awesome, such great people with lots of knowledge and information. Let us know how we can help.

5. Nette Susan

Nette Susan New Member

Thanks for the welcome & questions/comments.
    I buy only canned Pate & feed at 5:30 am & pm with water added. I also feed at 10/11pm before I go to bed. I test before 6 am & 6 pm feedings.
    I have 3 other cats so I do have a small amount of Purina DM dry out during the day.
    The reason for the lower amount in the evenings is because he is always lower & I have had several close calls of him getting too low.
    Luke is 6 years old now. He comes to me for his testing & shots, such a good smart cat.
    Thanks for all you do & the information you provide. Such a big help.

Side Note: I just heard a story of a lady I work with that would give her cat an IV every evening for 2 years. Wow!
    It was an older cat with bladder issues.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  6. Bobbie And Bubba

Now that is dedication!

When you get a chance, can you set up a signature giving patient information like cat's name, your name, DX date, how much the cat weighs, what you are feeding, insulin you use and how many units., meter you use. your location, and anything else you'd like to share that will fit in three lines.

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.

You are off to a good start and have the testing down so that is good. It would be helpful if you could get some mid-cycle tests in to get some more information for dosing and for those here who might be able to help with dosing, they will be able to see what, when, where..... We all store our numbers in a Spread Sheet. Our spreadsheet instructions are here. If you look at the signatures of the members here, you will see a link to their kitty’s spreadsheets. We keep track of all our tests. This is basically a place to collect data and help you to determine patterns, doses, etc. It also aids those that may be helping you to better understand your kitty. If you need help just shout.

7. Nette Susan

Nette Susan New Member

Here is my spreadsheet with my latest curve. I have 2 other sheets with more times/dates of the last month & also a sheet that I took of both Alpha Trac & ReliOn readings so I could see the differences before I switched completely to ReliOn. I use a small notebook for my details so I put these in this am.
    I flip between 2 1/2 & 3 units at night because of him getting very low, multiple times & calling the emergency vet line.
    It has made such a difference in his nights as he let's me know when he gets too low. It was happening almost every evening for weeks.

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Good job, I see the SS. You are a very diligent Bean and Luke Skywalker is lucky to have you!

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The 40 mg/dL earns a reduction in dose by 0.25 units, regardless of whether you are following the Tight Regulation or Start Low Go Slow guidelines.
    We want the glucose above 50 mg/dL on a human meter for TR, 90 mg/dL on a human meter for SLGS, and above 68 mg/dL on the AT 2 doing TR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.