Introduction

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Yong & Maury GA, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hello. My boy was just diagnosed on Monday, 9 January 2017. Found this forum and just over a couple days, this seems like a very friendly and caring support group.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and your very cute kitty! :) This is a great place for advice and support. Please post on the main health forum and include some basic info as follows:
    • kitty's name and age
    • what food you give your kitty
    • what insulin you're using and what dose
    • whether you've been taught to test blood glucose at home
    • if so, what glucose meter you use
    • whats meds and/or health issues your kitty has.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

This is a great site with a lot of information as well as support from other members. It would be good if you could tell us about your cat (age, what led to diagnosis, other health issues) and especially what he eats. Have you started giving insulin? Type ? Dose?

Generally, there are 3 important things to managing diabetes in cats.

DIET: wet, lo carb food is best. Most of the pate types of food such as Fancy Feast, Friskies, Whiskas etc are good. Dry food is too high carb, even the so called prescription food. Wet food more closely mimics the natural diet of cats (mice are pretty high moisture content). Cats with urinary problems benefit from wet food too. For treats, freeze-dried chicken is the best. Most cats love it and come running at test time.

HOMETESTING: This is essential to know how food change and/or insulin is affecting your boy's blood glucose number. Most of us use human glucometers and test the ears. Cats soon get used to this procedure, especially if accompanied by lots of freeze-dried chicken treats.

INSULIN: I personally prefer the longer acting insulins like Lantus or Levemir, it depends a lot on where you are and what you vet will use. I suggest that you read the notes (stickies) in each of the insulin-specific forums on this site to get a good sense for how each works.

I know it is a steep learning curve, but in no time you will have a routine worked out that works for you and your boy.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I just posted in the Main health forum and left a brief introduction in this area :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.