Introduction

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amiee, Jan 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amiee

Amiee New Member

Hello, my name is Amiee and my 19 year old cat Bizzles was diagnosed a little over 3 weeks ago with diabetes and hyperthyroidism. I am noticing him go into a low around 830-9pm every night. This scares the bejeevers out of me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. He currently gets 2cc 2x a day. I have him on Sheba pate. He's so skinny that I want to feed him more but I know it will do more harm than good.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Amiee, welcome to you and Bizzles! It's a little tougher when you're dealing with two conditions, but plenty folks here have experience with both and will be able to help you. When you say he goes into a low, does that mean you're home testing? If so, great, but if not, that would be the place to start. Come to the Main Health Forum and let us know what insulin you're using, what meter and we will be glad to help you with dosing and feeding ideas.

3. Amiee

Amiee New Member

Yes, I'm home testing and keeping journal for vet and I to discuss weekly. I'm using versalin. So glad to have found you guys. I don't feel so alone. Thank you Jackson from animal planet for suggestion.

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome
    Hopefully you really mean 2 units 2x day. 2cc of insulin would kill a cat. 1cc of a human insulin would be 100 units

6. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome! Fear is a great motivator, it brought you here and it will help you do what is best for your boy :)

It isn't necessarily true that more food will do more harm than good, as long as it has a good composition for both of his problems. Until a diabetic kitty is well regulated, he can't utilize his nutrition very well and it would probably be a good idea to feed more.

Like @Sharon14 said, now that you are here, join us over in the Feline Health and we will help get you started!

Sandi.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

For better or worse you'll never feel alone again. I myself do not offer legitimate medical advice, I'm only here because I cannot express my self in 140 characters or less. And of course I love my cats, which I demonstrated today by giving one a poopy-bum bath. Yes, a site where you can say "poopy-bum". There are people here that could probably pass their final year exam in veterinarian college, get ready Amiee.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Feeding a hungry cat, esp one who is too skinny, will do no harm. Just don't feed two hours prior to your preshot test. If his numbers are going too low, reduce the dose. Please post again on the main health forum so more people will see it. Tell us specifically what the numbers are.

9. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

I would say " Great to meet you" but under the circumstances of why we are meeting is not the ideal way so instead I will say, welcome to the greatest place to be if you have a diabetic cat !

19 years old, wow! You have been doing something right!! Great job! With the help of everyone here, you will also be great dealing with Bizzles.

Thanks to this I have gotten 2 of babies into remission! Sadly I am back posting questions myself because my baby has fallen out of remission ( probably) because he has a infected tooth. Dental problems are very bad , especially for diabetic cat ( weather in remission or not )
    I have worked in the animal field for over 35 years and have a lot of knowledge but when it comes to my own animals I second-guess my every move so I ask a lot of questions .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.