Irregular glucose levels

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nada, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nada

Nada Member

Hello everyone!
    My cat, Farafero is on 2 unitsunit of lantus for two months now but he started getting the full dose about a week ago because there was something wrong with the pen and it wasn't delivering his full dose, so I started using a syringe based on your recommendations and he finally started getting better.

Still we have a few problems. My Farafero got to the point of being skin on bones and when I started using the syringe he gained some weight but only in his tummy, I can still feel his boned whenever I pet him.

Now to get to his readings, I was very excited to see him come down to 70 at only +5 or +6 but before his next dose he bounces back to higher than 600.

I feed him cooked chicken, liver and meat every 6 hours and sometimes less. But he's always hungry and eats his meals like he's a starved cat and I'm going to take his food away from him. He's NEVER full. I try not to feed him much to control his BGLs but seeing him like that is really hard.

I was thinking about increasing his does to 3 units along with his meals. Would that be a wise decision? Or can I give him an oral hypoglycemic?

If you have the time please check his spreadsheet. I didn't take muck readings because the strips are really costly and I end up wasting some because he doesn't always comply.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. It appears there are two identical posts started. Maybe delete one.

Are you injecting from the pen? We don’t recommend that because you have to give full unit increases. Here we increase and decrease by .25 increments. Some cats need even smaller increases and decreases. You need to get insulin syringes and preferably with half unit markings. I suggest you read the yellow stickies.

3. Nada

Nada Member

I already started using the insulin syringe instead of the the pen more than a week ago

4. tiffmaxee

Sorry. I read that first part and stopped reading because I wanted to be sure you didn’t increase by a whole unit. :oops:

Which meter are you using? Strips for pet meters are double the cost of human. I don’t know where you live but if in the US Walmart sells Relion meters and the strips are pretty cheap and even cheaper on eBay. I used to score on auction. You just have to check the expiration date before purchasing there.

Not being able to rest often I wouldn’t jump a whole unit just yet.

5. Nada

Nada Member

I live in Egypt and unfortunately pet meters aren't available. Even human meters aren't cheap either. Right now I'm using accu chek active. Ordering one online would be extremely expensive when changing currencies.

6. tiffmaxee

That’s too bad. I’d feed her as much as she wants until she gains back the weight. I’d spread the meals out though. Many of us use human meters. The protocol is based on one so don’t be concerned about that.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Would it be possible for you to use the spreadsheet template that we all use? Not everyone here uses Excel. For those of us who look at everyone's spreadsheet, it's very helpful if the colors are consistent. The template for our spreadsheets is in this link.

I would not increase your cat's dose by more than 0.25u. This dose is already bringing numbers into the 70s. That's a good range for a nadir. Are you giving your cat his insulin twice a day? I also don't see any information between February 20 and 25.

8. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome:cool:

Please do not increase the dose at this time. That would not be wise.

Please read the informational posts you will find at the top of this forum, the ones with the yellow flags that say “sticky”. They contain very important information on Feline Diabetes and the methods used here.

Please tell us how you discoverd your kitty is diabetic. Are there any other health issues?

Does he only eat the foods you cook for him?

Nada likes this.
  9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

He is hungry because he is not regulated yet. The body can not metabolize properly so they are ravenous. I suggest giving more food and spread it out during the day. My new girl who is not regulated is one up to 9 cans (3 oz cans) a day. Fed every 3 hrs.

I would not raise your dose as it's getting her to 80. If you raise it, it could drop her into hypo territory. The reason for the high after that, is because her body is not use to it that low (but safe) so it release stored up glycogen (natural response) to keep her from going lower. It is referred to as a bounce.

See what others say about dose but I would not increase.

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Today's duplicate threads have been merged. :)

Nada likes this.
  11. Nada

Nada Member

@Marje and Gracie just helped right my sheet ❤
    He doesn't eat anything else other than what I cook for him as it would be expensive to buy him the right kind of canned food.

Some readings are missing because I ran out of test strips.

We found out he was diabetic the hard way. He stopped eating, threw up, got severely dehydrated and lost more than one kg in just a couple of days. The vet did all other labs before his blood sugar test. So that's how we found out. He cannot function without his insulin dose.

He's also anemic and in Epotin but his kidney functions are good. I've done BUN two times and it was high but he was also suffering from severe dehydration both times.

Ha had an infection that went away after three different courses of antibiotics but unfortunately the infection came back and I'm repeating the last course, which is ciprofloxacin.

I'm gonna add his labs to the spreadsheet right away

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.