Is anyone using Dr. Elsey's dry food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teresa & Buddy, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

My cat Buddy has been admitted to the hospital twice in the last few weeks because of pancreatitis. I was told his pancreatitis was so severe he had peritonitis and that he had to stay away from any food's besides what they prescribed which is 1/d Digestive Care canned & dry, because of low fat in this product. They said the high fat in some foods would kill Buddy, so I am looking for low fat & low carb foods for Buddy. The carbs in Digestive care are really high and I cannot get Buddy's BG down. I had been feeding him Dr.Easley's Chicken
    flavor dry and I called them today and was told their fat on a dry matter basis is no higher than Digestive Care and their carbs a lot lower. Does anyone have experience with Dr. Easley's dry or canned, or any other low fat food and is Dr.Easley's really low fat. Any reply would be appreciated.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hey Teresa I found this on the Chewy's site about the Dr Elseys canned chicken Pate

What are the phosphorous, protein, fat, and carb percentages by dry matter basis?
    The Phosphorous is 1.25%, the Protein content is 11%, the Fat content is 9%, and the Carbohydrate content is 2.08%.

By on Feb 1, 2018 Report

The dry clean protein chicken

How many carbs in this cat food
    This formula has a carbohydrate content of 4.69% on a dry matter basis.It didn't say what the fat content was

By on Aug 6, 2019 Report
    Did you happen to look at on the forum at Dr Lisa's food chart , Look at the Fancy Feast Naturals

3. Teresa & Buddy

4. Teresa & Buddy

I have been looking at Dr. Lisa's chart all evening, I will go back and look a the FF you mentioned. Everything I looked at had a high fat content except some Tiki Cat. I did call Dr.Elsey's today and talked to a very helpful person. I guess I just worry that I am getting false information that will hurt Buddy. Thank you, for your help.

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

How is Buddy feeling, If I read your post correctly your vet wants you to feed him the Hills I/D wet and dry, because of low fat, but the carbs are really high, what did they say about that, they know he's diabetic ,so aren't they concerned about the carbs

6. Teresa & Buddy

They said I would get things under control soon, they said the food with higher fat his pancreas could not handle.

7. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

My cat was diagnosed with pancreatitis and he can’t seem to tolerate the texture of regular Tiki cat, but he likes Tiki velvet mousse and I feed redbarn chicken stew most of the time.

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  8. Teresa & Buddy

How much fat does it contain and where do you buy it at.

9. Margie and Jackson

897B26F9-4709-4414-A251-86143688BC51.jpeg I bought it at petco, I buy redbarn from chewy.

10. Margie and Jackson

11. Margie and Jackson

You could buy some and show the vet. Btw, it says 6.25 percent fat if you can’t see it. Tiki senior chicken with pumpkin is 2percent

12. Teresa & Buddy

Both of these sound great, I will call the 2 pet shops in town to see if the carry either one.

13. Teresa & Buddy

I mean getting false info from companies trying to promote their product.

14. (GA) Gypsy's Parent

(GA) Gypsy's Parent Member

Did you look through the list of wet foods for something appropriate? http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/
    Beware the fractions on the can! You have to subtract out the water to get the fraction of carb/fat/protein. Dr. Lisa explains this here.

https://catinfo.org/commercial-cat-foods/#Calculating__Percentage_of_Carbohydrates:

15. Teresa & Buddy

I checked dr.pierson-new-food-chart and all the fat grams are too high, the problem is Buddy's has a serious problem with pancreatitis. He cannot tolerate the fat, his pancreatitis is so bad he had peritonitis and he was hospitalized twice in a 2 week period. So I need to watch fat & carbs.

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hey Teresa I didn't know what peritonitis was, so I looked it up, is that the same as Feline Infectious Peritonitis?

17. Teresa & Buddy

No, It is infection from the over flow of bile & what ever from Buddy's Pancreatitis. No, it is not the other.

18. (GA) Gypsy's Parent

(GA) Gypsy's Parent Member

You might have to consider making your own food :-( What does the vet recommend? When you need an all protein diet, that says meat to me.

19. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ok thank God it's not the other one, how's he feeling and how is mom

20. Teresa & Buddy

What she wants me to give Buddy is the high carb low fat I/d digestive care from Hill's in both wet & dry, that makes his BG go of the charts.

21. Teresa & Buddy

He Is just now starting to act like Buddy and my Mother also is starting to do better. Mother has all kinds of home health care coming to the house since it is hard for her to get out.

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm glad your mom is doing ok and Buddy also.
    I see some members gave you some suggestions on wet food that was ok .

23. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I've been using Prescription Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Formula Moderate Calorie (has very little MAX amount of fat vs many other brands that either have higher fat or only guarantee a MIN of fat--which means there can be a lot more). Fat definitely causes issues for my T. As you probably already know, many cats with chronic pancreatitis also have inflammation elsewhere, including their intestines, so the lower fat can make a difference. We purchased a baby food masher off of Amazon & mash the squares of food. With this recent flare, we mashed 1/4 can & added some chicken broth from Tiki Cat chicken canned food to make it soupy. When he isn't feeling well, he does best with soupy, blander warmed food & then eventually works back up to just the mashed. We mash it even when he is well to make digestion easier. Not sure if this helps, but I can relate to the food stress!

24. Teresa & Buddy

There is no where in this area that carries Tiki, I could order on line but you cannot order just one. How many carbs & how much fat does the Royal Canin have. The doctor prescribed for Buddy's Hill's prescription 1/d Digestive Care dry & wet. The 1/d dry sends Buddy to the 400 & 500's, I am sometimes giving him 2 to 3 tea of the 1/d wet and Dr.Esley's dry.

25. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

The Prescription Royal Canin Gastro Moderate Calorie wet canned food has 6% carbs (based on dry matter basis which is the more accurate measurement when figuring carbs because calculation on wet matter basis makes the # less because of moisture factored in). The fat is 1.5%.

Their Glycobalance wet only has 2.8% carbs, again, dry matter basis, but the fat will be higher. It has fat listed at a min of 1.5%, which is the same as the gastrointestinal, but the nutritional consultants I've spoken with, both from RC & outside of RC, said the fat content is higher in the glyco formulation vs the gastrointestinal diet.

ECID, but my T does NOT do well with higher fat. It throws him into a major flare! He does really well with his wet mashed--easier to digest & also mashed results in him eating the food vs eating less but licking all the gravy off the squares & leaving them in his plate:mad:. He hates dried out food & of course would leave the squares he licked all the gravy off of & then wanted some new put out. Mashing it resolved all that :)!

I'm in big believer in finding the right amount of good carbs that work for your cat to help regulate their BG (as well as other positive things some limited carbs do for feline health). If there are no carbs, the reality is, some cats BG will be tougher to regulate. Again, it all depends on your cat. Ultimately, its all about finding the right balance for their health. I want the pancreatitis or other health conditions stable & a regulated BG.

BTW, RC is amazing to talk to re: their food! Their # is 800-592-6687. I also have 2 Board Certified Feline Nutritionists from the ACVM involved in decision making & that has been super helpful:D. I am attaching the link in case you are ever interested in using them. Some will do remote consults with clients &/or your vet by phone & specialize in specific health conditions &/or types of diets, including homemade. I even have one who has an integrative medicine focus which is really cool. They are in very high demand & therefore, it takes awhile to get the consults, but they are worth it! ACVM Directory:

https://acvn.org/directory/

Hope this helps!

26. Teresa & Buddy

Yes, it helps. When Buddy 1st became diabetic he was eating RC glycol formula. I do not know if Buddy's current vet uses RC.

27. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

When T was first diagnosed he was eating Rx Hills I/D but then without warning they changed the ingredients & texture & T wouldn't touch it :banghead:! I couldn't believe they did that without letting people know so they could do a transition. SO frustrating!!

28. Teresa & Buddy

From what I have been reading a lot of pet food companies do this and they don't warn any one. How did you handle the carbs, was he eating wet or dry or both.

29. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

He has been & still is eating almost 100% wet because he prefers it. I leave RX RC weight management dry out (they now have GI dry but didn't years ago when it was first prescribed), but he really doesn't touch it. I have Nest Cams & one specific to the dry food bowl area w/an alert set & he takes a few bites around 3 or 4am maybe 2-3x week & moves along. The interesting thing is I set an alarm since I noticed he seemed to be doing it when his BG may have been dropping overnight & thats exactly what he was doing! Smart guy!

I believe some carbs are good & help regulate T's BG, so I'm personally not focused on restricting them below where we are at. We pretty much know now that the Pred is most likely the issue for T. We are going to try to get him back to baseline with the Pred & then try a change to budesonide. It may or may not work but it is worth a try. The consensus is he was most likely heading toward remission before he got sick again. He had been off the Pred for a week when he started to feel lousy. Yet, despite nausea, pain, inflammation his BGs didn't spike. Instead, right before we re started the Pred, we had to stall & skip his insulin 2 nights in a row. I expected to see high numbers the next mornings but that didn't happen. We had to wait until past the +24 hour prior days morning injections to get a high enough # for insulin & even then the #s weren't bad. I'm using AlphaTrak2.

30. Teresa & Buddy

I have not been on FDMB for about a week, that is why it took me so long to reply. Buddy, prefers dry, I did order some wet Dr.Esley's and he eats some of it but he wants the dry more often. Guess I gotta get off again.

31. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Maybe do a mix? I know how it is to deal with eating issues so I do what I have to, especially when T is not feeling well, to make sure he eats. The DM is able to be managed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.