Is Buddy entering remission?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Buddysmama, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Buddysmama

Buddysmama New Member

Hi All! New to the forum :)

My cat Buddy is a 9 year old snowshoe who used to be a 20 lb big boy. After being diagnosed with diabetes I completely changed his diet from grazing dry food to twice a day canned tiki cat and a before bed gravy mousse also from tiki. He had already lost 7 lbs before his diagnosis so now we are still at that weight.

Initially he was getting 2 units of prozinc and I was not home testing. I decided to let my vet do his curve and she came back to me that his #’s were low and to not give him insulin that night or the next morning. She also called prozinc and they Lowered insulin down to 1 unit. 4 days ago I gave him food like normal and insulin and he crazy threw up right after. I was already suspicious something was going on but now I was worried.

Well in this time I decided to home test the low word worried me and how he was acting. After a few trials and errors I was able to get the hang of it.

The last 3 days my cat has been consistently between 88-110 in his readings. I have NOT given him insulin.

Am I correct in that these #’s are normal? No wonder his #’s were low at the vet ( she said 45 and blamed the glucometer. My gut tells me to keep testing before feeding and if they are rising then to consider it. Also no excess water consumption or urination.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Those BGs are certainly encouraging and could very well suggest that Buddy is/or at least heading toward being a diet controlled diabetic. The readings you have provided are normal for either a pet or human meter however if you are using a human meter, the 110 is on the high end of normal, a bit higher than we'd like to see with remission while with a pet meter, those numbers are optimal.

I would suggest you keep testing Buddy daily at your normal times with your normal routine (no food for 2 hours before pre-shot test) and if Buddy remains in normal range for a period of 14 consecutive days without insulin, then you can consider him in remission. If Buddy maintains normal BG for the 14 consecutive days, you can then back off to testing weekly for a month or 2 and then to monthly although testing weekly is easy to remember and allows you to catch it early should his BG start rising. Inflammation or infections can cause our extra sweet kitties to lose their remission so it's important to maintain the low carb diet and to catch any rising BG early to avoid a relapse.

If you are using a human ideally remission BG would stay in the 50 -80 range with most readings under 100. The odd reading up to 120 may occur. With a pet meter normal range is 68 to 150 but ideally kitty would be in the lower part of that range most of the time.

Please keep us posted. Fingers crossed for you and Buddy. We love success stories! :D

Robert Vittetoe likes this.
  3. Buddysmama

Buddysmama New Member

Thank you for your response! I am using the Alpha trak 2 and following for cats :) I will just keep testing him and keep my fingers crossed. He is an FIV+ cat so I suppose I will always be dealing with it. As long as he is happy and as healthy I will continue to do what is necessary! I will definitely keep you posted . Just for the purpose here have been his 7am 7pm readings 90/103 106/88 102/92

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Using the AT2 meter, those are excellent readings. :DKeep testing for a total of 2 weeks then you and Buddy can back off to once a week testing. With the FIV+ making Buddy more prone to infections, I'd recommend continuing to test weekly just so you catch any BG elevation that could be an early warning sign of an infection.

Buddysmama likes this.