Is chicken a protein to steer clear of with diabetics?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kerri2455, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerri2455

Kerri2455 Member

Hi all
    Someone just told me that i should not feed my diabetic a food that has chicken in it. She had a roommate with a diabetic cat and she would not feed anything with chicken in it. Is this true as my cat is eating Merrick canned purrfect bistro chicken pate.

THANK YOU
    Kerri

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Why in the world would she say that? Chicken is a great lean protein. Maybe that cat was allergic?

3. Kerri2455

Kerri2455 Member

I know, i thought it crazy too.... I'm going to pretend i didn't hear that. I think unless the cat is allergic its one of the better proteins too. THANKS!

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

For info, if a cat is sensitive to a particular foodstuff it may really spike BG levels when eaten. For example, some cats may spike after eating a food containing beef. Another one to watch for on ingredient lists is vegetable protein (of non-disclosed source - usually soy) or soy protein as some cats are very sensitive to it.

Mogs

Sylvie likes this.
  5. Kerri2455

Kerri2455 Member

Thank you! I knew cats can be allergic to chicken but wasn't aware about the vegetable protein/soy protein. Good to know. Appreciate it!

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I've had 13 diabetics in my care now and almost all have eaten Chicken Wellness, Chicken Fancy Feast, Chicken TikiCat... I mainly only feed poultry.

Kerri2455 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.