? Is coconut oil ok for my sugarcat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jorda1re, Aug 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jorda1re

jorda1re Member

My sugar cat, Spider, has been OTJ for 4 years (as of today, actually!) This past month, he's been shedding a great deal and causing him to develop large mats. He gets mats sometimes but I can usually keep up with them. He also appeared to be overgrooming in some spots and had bad dandruff. I remember before he was diagnosed, his coat was in bad shape but the vet checked his sugar and it was fine. I finally took him to a groomer who had to shave a few of the mats off. I asked the groomer what I could do for his skin to help the dryness. She suggested coconut oil with his food, but since she knows he's diabetic (she once had a diabetic cat, too), she said to check and make sure it would be diabetes approved. Does anyone else use this, and if so, where should I get some?

Thanks!
    Becky

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I have no personal knowledge of it, but here's an article that says it can be good for diabetes. Here is another article though this one does not mention diabetes.

I think it is pretty easy to find these days. They should have it at most grocery stores, pharmacies and 'heath food' stores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.