Is Control Solution Necessary ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PamJV, Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PamJV

PamJV Member

I wonder if it is thought necessary to use the control solution to test accuracy of one's meter and make adjustments periodically? My vet never told me I should be doing this. I have started to wonder if I should try because I just can't get Ricky's numbers back down to the better numbers they once were. Slight adjustments in insulin don't seem to make a difference.

I've looked at reviews of control solution for Alpha Trak Meter and one comment was that the range was so broad that it didn't make sense. My kit still has an unopened bottle of solution but it's dated 2012. I have already set the meter for the Cat CODE, so isn't that good enough or do I have to use control solution also?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the control solution. The old one you have has expired. If you're concerned you can order more online.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The control solution is for use if/when you need to verify that your strips are good. If it is unopened but the expiration date has passed, it is no good. Also, once a bottle is opened, it is only good for a certain amount of time (expiration date no longer applies once opened). I have only used it on a few occasions when Mia's numbers were all the sudden off, and I was trying to rule out everything I could. It was never the strips. :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. PamJV

PamJV Member

I know I could buy more online, but I am just wondering if it really a vital thing to test. I was reading some of the reviews and people say they use the solution every time they open a new bottle of test strips. But the bottle tells you what to code the meter, so I wonder if the test solution is supposed to tell you to enter something different other than the code?

5. PamJV

PamJV Member

I just started a new bottle of test strips, so they should be fresh. Yes, I started thinking of the control solution to rule reasons why Ricky's numbers don't seem to make sense.

6. Kris & Teasel

No, all the test solution tells you is that the mter is giving readings in the correct range at whatever code you've set. I wouldn't worry about it. If you have another non diabetic kitty you could try testing him/her to see if you get a normal range reading. You could also take your AT meter to Ricky's next vet appointment and compare readings with whatever meter they use.

7. Kris & Teasel

Broken record: without more data on your SS it's impossible to know what his responses truly are.

FurBabiesMama likes this.
  8. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

I've never used a control solution. If I think something is wrong with my meter or strips, I test my own blood.

9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I never used the solution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.