Is Fancy Feast Beef Flavour available in Ontario, Canada?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Randi & Max (GA), Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone in Ontario is able to get the FF in any of the beef flavours.
    Nothing here in Quebec.
    Brought several cases from New York this past weekend but I got a
    major grilling about it at the border. Thanks to Mad Cow several years ago,
    beef doesn't cross the border unless it walks over.
    They really questioned me as to whether I checked all of the ingredients.
    Beef is not allowed.

I was hoping or wondering if maybe Ontario gets them. I can drive over
    that border without risk of confiscation.
    Thanks

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I wonder if the Canadian government thinks that people are going to eat the beef flavored canned cat food,
    or some such, to have banned it!

~M

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Randi

Around fall or so, announced all FF beef would not be avaiable in Canada at all due to "distributions issues"
    This was also an email they sent me when I asked about their flavours back then.

Then November or so, I was at my local grocery store and in the pet food isle they had notices up from the management about beef flavours not available in Canada, citing issues with beef.

I actually saw some in a Dollarama in December! lol 2 for $1

4. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Yes, all pet food containing beef has been banned from import from the USA. Occasionally you do see some old cans lingering on a shelf in a Canadian Tire or dollar store. I scooped up all the remaining cases (about a dozen) that I could find in my town back when the news came out.

5. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Yes, it is back in the stores.

I have seen then back on the shelf, in my local Petsmart..this after they had been missing for a while, so I think it would be new stock. I had purchased some for Thomas, and he seemed to be okay with it. Mind you, I live nowhere near the border. I would suggest that you call a petsmart where you would be going and check before you make the trip.

ETA I did find another product; whiskas with real beef in gravy. But you have to buy the pate style. It is the only style that does not have added glutens or starch. It's 4th ingredient is vegetable oil though, so I give it only occasionally. Thing is though, that it is also imported into Canada.

Dana

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Thanks Dana
    Unfortunately we don't have Petsmart in Quebec. What a surprise.
    I pickd up several cases at Petsmart in Plattsburgh, NY.
    I will do some more research. It is so nice to have a variety and
    my gang really liked it.

7. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Do you have a Sobeys? The Compliments cat food (small FF size cans) still come in a couple of beef flavours, which I have been getting for my guys since the FF problem. They are also good, low carb choices.

8. Randi & Max (GA)

Don't have Sobey's. Do you mean the "Compliment's brand" of food?
    I believe that is the genric name used at our IGA stores.
    What about Presidents' Choice? I should check the chart and see about those.

9. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

PC brands have some beef flavours as well. Recently though, they changed up their formulations, and added something called animal digest, which I think is akin to animal byproducts..My guys pretty well gave up eating PC about that time. When looking at the label, as long as they don't have added starches, glutens, potatoes and such, they will be relatively lo carb.

10. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Yep, IGA and Sobeys both share the Compliments brands. Also check WalMart for Special Kitty.

I like the PC ones, too ... that's where I can get the FF-size cans of duck cat food. I don't think FF even has duck, and my guys love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.