Is it better to feed around the same time as the insulin shot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Arkali, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkali

Arkali Member

Gypsy's on Lantus and currently I'm feeding at 6a / 6p roughly and she gets shots at 9a / 9p, that way it's not the end of the world if I oversleep. But am I screwing up her insulin dosages by doing it that way? Should I move their feedings to 9 / 9? They pretty much free feed, even on the moist food. I put a can out for each cat (we have three) and then they eat about half of that right then but come back and grab a couple of bites throughout the day. I'm worrying a bit because her numbers are a bit high today in comparison to the previous two days.

Thanks so much!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

It is usually recommended that you feed after giving an insulin shot. I believe the point of that is so that they have food in them when onset starts. With an insulin like Lantus, the onset is not immediate, so it seems that feeding them a little later would be fine. Feeding Gypsy three hours before her shot then not feeding her again until +9 (three hours before next shot) may not be ideal. But, you said you leave food out for them to graze on, so it may not be that big of a deal. Does she usually eat some within a few hours after her shot?

Why do you feed at 6am then give the shot at 9am? Wouldn't it be simpler to do them at the same time? You said 'that way it's not the end of the world if I oversleep'.. does that mean, if you oversleep, she does not get fed on time but still gets her shot on time - or does that mean you go back to bed after feeding her and sometimes oversleep after that?

UPDATE: I said 'It is usually recommended that you feed after giving an insulin shot." The normal recommended order is actually test - feed - shoot. The point I meant to make was that the shot normally occurs in conjunction with a meal. I believe the bottom line is that you do not want the insulin's onset to occur before the cat has eaten. So, with late-onset insulins, it does not seem that feeding just before or just after the shot or even a short time later would really matter much.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  3. Arkali

Arkali Member

Thanks, FBM :) To answer your first question--I catch her grazing all the time. I'd say she eats about 1/4 to 1/3 of her food immediately; the rest gets snacked on throughout the day.

I'm trying to make sure she gets her shots exactly at the 12-hour marks. There's a lot going on around the house at 6 / 6. In the mornings it's making coffee and breakfast for hubby and myself, getting the cats situated with food, taking Gypsy's blood sugar, etc. At night it's trying to get dinner on the table. I thought about moving their feeding up to 9, but all three of them (including the two that don't get along) were patiently waiting in their spots this morning :woot: (we just switched them to wet food last Thursday when Gypsy came home). I don't think I could wait 3 more hours before feeding them :p So I guess I'm going to bump the insulin shots to 6 a.m. and if it's not exactly 6, oh well. Another check in the 6 a.m. column is it feels weird for the 6 a.m. glucose test to be recorded the day before at the +9 mark.

Oversleeping: No, I mean I'm not a morning person and sometimes I'm not out of bed at 6 a.m. but more like 6:15ish. Weekends are worse because I don't have to make breakfast for the two-leggeds :coffee: But I'm pretty sure that part of the new world order is I've gotta get up in the mornings now, regardless of how late I was up. We'll get adjusted, but it's taking some time.

Thank you again!

4. FurBabiesMama

You should not move the shot time more than 15 minutes each cycle, so it would take you awhile to move it three hours.

I'm a little confused by the statement about the 6am test being recorded the day before at +9. There is normally a test done right before shot time, and that gets recorded in the AM/PMPS slot. So, if you change shot times, the pre-shot test still goes in the same place on the spreadsheet.

If what you are doing is working for you, and if she is eating throughout the cycle, it is probably fine to leave things as is. That is better than having her shot times become inconsistent. Consistent shot timing is important.

5. Arkali

Arkali Member

Good to know--thank you!

If her shots are given at 9 p.m. and 9 a.m., and glucose readings are done every three hours, then 6 a.m. would be 9 p.m. +9, no? The before shot test would be at 9 a.m. Or at least that's how I've been recording it. Although I suppose I could add a column and label it -3 on the day of just to make it more cohesive :)

6. FurBabiesMama

Okay, I think I follow you now. The pre-shot test result should always go in AMPS/PMPS. Every test after that should be based on how many hours after the shot it was done. Do not worry about what calendar day it falls on.

Arkali likes this.
  7. JeanW

JeanW Member

Why then do we always say test/feed/shoot? I was always taught to test, feed right away and shoot within 30 minutes.

Arkali likes this.
  8. FurBabiesMama

Yes, sorry, you are correct that the stated order is normally test - feed - shoot. Sorry for the confusion. Really though, for most of us, I think the shot and feeding happen pretty much at the same time. The point I meant to make was that the insulin shot usually occurs in conjunction with a meal. (Exact details vary by person/cat. For example, I test Mia and give her shot in her testing spot, then she jumps down and eats immediately. She also eats more three to four hours later which would be just prior to onset.)

I believe that being sure food is on board before giving the shot is important when a very fast-acting insulin is being used so as not to cause a dive in the BG level. With insulins like Lantus and Levemir, however, the onset does not usually occur for a few hours after the shot is given. So, whether the cat eats just before or just after the shot or even a little while later should not matter too much.

JeanW and Arkali like this.
  9. JeanW

JeanW Member

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.