Is it possible for a cat to be allergic to a type of Insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tom Shooter, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Shooter

Tom Shooter Member

Dusty has a very bad rash on his head that has spread to his ears and the area of his front leg that he uses to clean his head. The Vet prescribed Baytril and Prednisolone but neither has helped and in fact it has gotten worse. We also did a flea treatment.

The only thing that changed around the time the rash started was that the insulin does he was getting was increased from 1 unit every 12 hours to 2 and sometimes 2.5. The vet did this when he was boarded for a week due to the readings that they took. The vet suggested I continue with 2 units going forward and I have done so. His reading were in the 12 to 14 range. We took him back to the vet last week to get a follow-up visit as the rash was worse and his reading at the vet was in the 8 range. We decreased the dose back to 1.5 but the rash is till there and it is getting worse.

My question is it possible that my cat may be allergic to this type of insulin that manifested itself at the higher douses? I wonder if it makes sense to try one of the other brands. He is getting ProZinc.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

If it was the insulin, I would think the rash would start at the injection site.

I have never heard of a allergy to insulin.

Have you asked the vet.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

4. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

That is a scary article. Just like a human with a bee sting.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

upload_2018-3-9_8-3-25.png

well, you know how these inserts are :) they have to cover all their bases...they said this pasted above...but in reading...I found nothing for a rash...

What did the vet say? perhaps it makes sense to switch out? I myself had a weird reaction to a medicine called Singulair (for asthma seems I'm allergic to everything)
    I got numb fingers the last two fingers 2 hours after EVERY TIME I took it.
    Doctor said just cause the warnings don't state it...if it is reproducible it is a reaction...just sayin' ;)

7. Tom Shooter

Tom Shooter Member

I do not know what is causing it, just grasping at straws with the insulin. I am picking him back up this afternoon so will ask the vet his opinion. They did a biopsy to see if that could found out what is causing it. Here's hoping it is something that can be treated easily. The poor guy has been through so much in the last 6 months. With everything the Vet bills have totaled about $3,000.00 so I do not want to lose my gold plated cat,lol.

8. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  9. Tom Shooter

Tom Shooter Member

The rash is very itchy. He scratches at it all the time.

10. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Could it be this?

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/cat-health/cat-diseases-conditions-a-z/demodicosis-cats

The reason I ask is the rash seems very localized starting at the head, then the ears, then spreading like a contagion to the front leg he uses to wash his face. I would think if the kitty was allergic to insulin the reaction would be more systemic (all over). Whereas it’s possible he picked this up by another cat outside or even from the vets office - I would get it checked out as apparently this mite spreads to cats with compromised immune systems those with DIABETES and these mites are normally kept in check by an uncompromised immune system

Just a thought- it would explain why the cortisone did nothing as this is an antibiotic sort of thing coupled with shampoo or dip treatments for a cure

Just trying to help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.