Is it possible to treat with tablets rather than injections?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Hi, it's great to find this forum.

My 15 year old Burmilla has just been diagnosed with diabetes and we are still in shock. The vet suggested we take the weekend to decide what to do - for me there is no question about giving him a little longer to live. I am concerned at the prospect of having to give injections and wonder if anyone has come across cats that have been treated by tablets rather than injections? I work long hours in the City and am worried about the 12 hour injection regime, a relative comes in to feed him before I get home but wouldn't give injections.

I also wondered this - does diabetes, even when treated, reduce life expectancy? I know my cat is old but I wonder if I can expect him to have as long a life with diabetes as without?

Any advice very gladly accepted. Thanks
    Lisa

2. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

The answer on pills is no. Glipazide has often been tried and has proven to be ineffective.

The answer on your cat's life expectancy is that a well controlled diabetic can have a long, healthy, and happy life. The testing and shot procedures may seem overwheming at first; but they soon become routine. Many cats, after being on insulin for a while, no longer need it and are controlled by diet alone.

Please read all the stickies about diet and insulin and come back with any questions you may have. You can help your cat and you will get lots of support here.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Additionally, from what I've learned, the pills can actually cause more and permanent damage to the cat.

WELCOME, this forum is a great place to gain knowledge and really learn how to manage feline diabetes. By doing just a few things each day (that really won't take up much of your time at all), you won't need to worry about losing your precious cat, not where feline diabetes is concerned.

There are three key factors to managing diabetes: food/nutrition, home testing and insulin

1) Feline Nutrition: Now, as far as diet - definitely dump the dry food (if you are feeding any) and if the vet recommends purchasing prescription food like DM just say "no thank you". ALL cats, and especially those with diabetes, do best on a species appropriate diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Dry food DOES NOT fit that bill and DM food, even canned, just really isn't that great as far as quality. Most here on FDMB feed low carb/high protein canned, raw bought from a pet store or they make there own.

Here great links, one is to a food chart put together by one of our board members that breaks down the carb % and protein % of most of the commercial brand foods. You want to keep the carb % below 10% and around 7% is great. The other link is to a site by a vet "Dr. Lisa DVM" ... who also posts on this board from time to time ... there is in-depth info. there about many things, including nutrition and how to make raw food.
    Nutrition/food info

The good thing with feeding your diabetic cat this way, is that it is ALSO good for any non-diabetic cat too. All your cats can safely eat the same food without worry and it may save you some costs and headaches of having to do separate feedings and keeping track of what they are eating.

2. Home testing: It is impossible to convey the value of testing your cat's BG (blood glucose) level at home. Some vets will "suggest" this, but most won't even mention it. They will send you home with insulin and an amount to shoot and maybe some instructions about hypoglycemia (blood sugar dropping to a dangerously low level).

Well, the thing is, human diabetics don't EVER give themselves insulin without checking there BG to make sure it is safe to do so, so why shouldn't it be the same for our kitties. Here on FDMB it is. You will notice that the vast majority of people here test their cat's BG at least 2x/day (before giving each shot to make sure the level is safe enough) and periodically at other times to see how the cat is responding to the current dose. We use a human glucometer, test strips and lancets - which are all very readily available and easy to use.

Our kitties get lots of love and treats for "putting up" with this and most of them actually come out to be tested on their own 'cause they want those treats . Here is a collection of great links that "Carolyn and Spot" pulled together about hometesting. See what you think ... it truly is the best way to not only keep Your cat safe but also really get a handle on this disease and help him to live a healthy life with FD (feline diabetes).

Home testing Links

3. Insulin: There are several types of insulin available. Many people, myself included use Lantus or Levimer both of which are great insulins. They are gentle insulin and given twice (BID) per day in 12 hour increments.

Please read up on the insulins available, here is a link to the Insulin Support Groups:

Insulin Support Groups

However, one caveat and again this shows how these three things are inter-related:

If you are feeding dry food or even a high carb food, BEFORE removing these foods, please make sure of your insulin dose as it will most likely need to be reduced, so as to avoid a possible hypoglycemic situation due to the removal of the dry/high carb foods that will lower the BG’s and reduce the amount of insulin required. Again, another reason why home testing is important.

I know this all seems like a lot, and that's because it is ... there is a learning curve here. But as long as you are determined and keep at it, you will have it down before you know it and you'll be seeing the results in Your cat' overall health and happiness. Ask all the questions you can think of - that's why we are here!

Also, if you haven't done it yet, take the time and fill out your profile. It will help when others come on and read this. Also, let us know where you live - city/state as there are probably people in your area who can provide on the ground support and help you to learn home testing, etc.

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Pills don't work at all. Glipizide is the most common pill used for diabetic cats. The pill just forces the already burned out pancreas to work even harder and even damages pancreas cells, thus decreasing the chance for remission, possibly even good regulation. Daily pilling can be very stressful for some cats. Dry pilling any type of medicine can cause throat damage as described here http://catinfo.org/pillingcats.htm

Insulin gives the body a break and allows the pancrease to heal if it's not too burned out.

5. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Hi Lisa, and welcome!

To understand the answers you are getting it will help to read more about the basics of how feline diabetes works. Our FAQs are a good place to start, and there are research documents in the Health Index.

Pills work by forcing the pancreas to produce insulin. The big downside is that this burns out the pancreas, making remission impossible. Insulin supports the pancreas and gives it time to rest and, in many cases, regenerate . This is why we prefer insulin treatment to pills.

Since Burmilla has just been diagnosed you are in the window where we see a lot of cats go into remission. The recipe that works is a proper diet www.catinfo.org has all the information on why and what and how, and a long lasting, gentle insulin such as Lantus or Levemir.

Many of us work and can't adhere to a strict twelve hour schedule, so don't let that stop you from giving Burmilla a chance at regaining good health.

Gia & Quirk

Guilt trips are a detour from life

6. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

> My 15 year old Burmilla has just been diagnosed with diabetes
    > and we are still in shock. The vet suggested we take the weekend
    > to decide what to do - for me there is no question about giving
    > him a little longer to live.
    [...]
    > I also wondered this - does diabetes, even when treated, reduce
    > life expectancy? I know my cat is old but I wonder if I can expect
    > him to have as long a life with diabetes as without?

Properly treated, diabetes does not reduce life expectancy. If it's any reassurance, my Gwyn was diagnosed a little over five years ago, at age 15-1/2. Unfortunately, she's on steroids and never made it into remission -- but in just three weeks she'll turn 20! Please listen to folks here about insulin and diet -- they really do know what they're talking about!

7. stefani&toonces

stefani&toonces Member

I know injections are scary, but you will quickly figure out that "pilling" a cat is much more traumatic for them then getting these little shots that they can't even feel (esp if they are distracted by a treat!)

8. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Thanks everyone for your kind responses. We will be going back to the vet for the first time tomorrow to learn about injections. Right now it feels like a huge responsibility but I hope that it'll soon become routine. I'm hoping that his quality of life will be great for a good few years. Thanks again!

9. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

good news :)

and yes, it is a huge responsibility but (forgive me for my soapbox), but it is what happens when we have pets. Sometimes we luck out and don't have to spend a dime on medical care other than yearly visits, but that is rare....and we owe it to them to treat if treatment is reasonable. Luckily, diabetes is totally treatable and we've got lots of info and advice :D

10. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

My Charlie was 12 when diagnosed back in 2004... He never went into remission and thus he continued on his twice daily injections and blood tests. He even came to me if I'd be a tad late. His last day with me, was August 4th 2009... He was over 18 and was running and playing with his brothers. He took his mid morning nap on my bed. his late morning nap on his favorite recliner... then sprawled out in his sunbeam for the afternoon. He followed me, telling me his dreams while I fixed dinner and begged for snippets of chicken all during dinner. Then he joined me on the arm of "our" recliner to watch TV till 10:00 p.m. We hit the bedroom and for the first time he went to his private spot before coming to cuddle with me in bed. I looked at him, and he seemed to say.... I'm very tired tonight mommy.... is this okay.

At 1:00 a.m. my boy screamed for me and as I turned on the light and raced to him.... he just lunged and stumped toward me.... We (hubby drove) I craddled my boy in my arms as we headed to the ER.... I knew it was a blood clot../ stroke.... I knew it was the end..... He looked into my eyes and I told him of the bridge rainbow that he'd spend time at... until I came to join him.... By 2:00 my boy was gone.... I will miss him forever... but know that he had six additional wonderful years and one hour of pain... I'm glad you're going to treat yours too.

Believe me.. I'm 66 and was terrified to give Charlie his first shot.... I forced myself to talk to gently and gave the shot. Then I laughed and snuggled him..... It was so easy.... I was embarrased. I know you can do it.

11. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Calliope was 14 1/2 when diagnosed. I was SO overwhelmed, scared to death and my vet actually recommended putting her to sleep because she didn't think I could shoot or test her at home. Calliope was on insulin for less than 3 weeks. We were lucky, but with the food change, which made a HUGE difference and a little insulin, she responded. Not all cats go off the juice, but this treatable and we've seen many, many kitties on this forum live long healthy lives on insulin.

You will make adjustments based on your other obligations the best you can and folks here will have lots of suggestions for you to consider, based on your schedule etc... Don't fret yet!! Let us know which insulin your vet uses and you'll get lots of suggestions as to information to read and lots of help.

You will never be alone here. We ALL felt just like you when we got the news. It DOES become routine and you WILL feel better and so will your sugar kitty.

You already took a great step and that's by finding this forum.

Welcome to our HUGE group! We're sorry you had to find us, but we're glad you did!!!

12. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Hi everyone
    Today is Day One. We spent a long time at the vet's last night learning all about feline diabetes, then it was time to try to inject him. He is SO good, he will let me do virtually anything and he was good last night, just got a little bit fed up towards the end when he wanted to go home! This morning I was a little apprehensive when the time came to give him the injection but I did it while he was having his second breakfast and he didn't flinch. This evening though I must have done something slightly different because he opened his little mouth and let out a sound as I injected. I'm not sure what I did but I hope I didn't hurt him.

The insulin we're using is called Insuvet Lente. On regular days I leave the house at 6.45am and will be back at around 7.15pm which is fine. I'm a bit worried though in case I was ever delayed. How long have you left it between treatments and were there any repercussions?

Thanks again!

13. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Lisa, are you in the UK? Not many people use that insulin. here is a tiny bit of info on it from the petdiabetes wiki http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Insuvet_Lente

A 12/12 schedule with some wiggle room is fine, especially on an lente insulin. What dose are you giving and are you going to learn to hometest?

Jen

14. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have shot/tested. my cats on a 17/7 schedule numerous times because of my varying work schedule. I have done this with Lantus, U (ultralente), and N insulin. I frequently I would reduce the dose after the long period since the next period is very shot. Such extremes should be avoided if possible especially for a newly dx'd cats since it makes determining the right dose difficult.

15. thepeach80

thepeach80 Member

I just wanted to say hi! Our cat was just dx yesterday and reading your post lets me know I'm not alone in my questions and anxiousness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.