Is Kaydee Diabetic?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mkattz & Wally, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkattz & Wally

mkattz & Wally Member

Hi All:

I have not posted much and not at all since I lost Keeko to pancreatitis last month. I took one of my other cats for blood work as I was watching her for the development of kidney issues. I received her lab results. Her bun is elevated at 42 (normal stops at 36) but I was surprised that her BG was 178. Can a non diabetic kitty have high BG at the vets office due to stress? I am going to try to test her BG at home this weekend. I tried the other morning and failed. Her ears are not use to bleeding I guess. Anyway it was a workday and I was rushed, so I didn't want to push the issue and make her afraid of testing. Any thoughts.

Mkattz

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes vet stress can certainly raise BG levels up to 100 points. It's very possible that is all that is wrong. And any illness or things being "off" can also raise BG's.

Don't freak out on just one test number. Test him again in the morning, when he is relaxed and see what you get. Chances are it will be more within normal range.

3. mkattz & Wally

mkattz & Wally Member

Thank you for your input Hillary. I plan on testing in the am. I'm hoping it is a false flag. I did not do well with my sweet Keeko's diabetes. I really tried very hard but was unable to control it. Looking back, I think he may have had underlying pancreatic problems all along that went undiagnosed. Well we will see what happens. If it is true, I am much better equipped to handle it this time. Have all the equipment at hand and a lot more knowledge since joining the FDMB.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Vet stress can raise BG levels. Also, if she has an infection, that can also raise the BG.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

One study someone found, I believe last summer, indicated vet stress could raise glucose levels 100-180 mg/dL.

6. mkattz & Wally

mkattz & Wally Member

I tested her at home today and her BG was 73. I will test her one more time tomorrow to confirm my findings. I guess I will move over to the CRF site to get advice on the elevated bun. I wonder if he could have high blood pressure. Anyone know anything about elevated blood pressure?

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Elevated blood pressure may come from a number of causes: stress, renal disease, brain dysfunction. The first 2 are much more common. Note that feeding a high protein, low carb diet will raise the BUN and not necessarily indicate renal dysfunction in the absence of other indicators.

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you got a normal BG reading today.

9. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Glad to see it looks like Kaydee is not diabetic. Vyktors BG goes up well over 100 points at the vet - he hates them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.