Is mint harmful to cats?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Monique & Spooky, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

My daughter has a cold and this morning I was giving her a few drops of some Japanese mint oil to rub under her nose. It says it is a natural oil made from peppermint,, it can be taken internally (10 drops) to relive stuffy nose, congestion or cough. It can be inhaled (applied under the nose or a few drops in boiling water and inhaled) also to be used as mouth rinse for fresh breath. So I can assume there is nothing toxic in it. Spooky was on the countertop and was sniffing my fingers so I let him and strted licking. He then went bonkers and started shaking his head and jumping up in the air and spinning. He was smacking his lips and foaming at the mouth. He ran under the table and drooled all over the floor. After I wiped his mouth and chest off (he looked like a rabid animal!) I gave him a peice of meat which he ate, and it seemed to stop. He is still smacking a little but he doesn't seemed bothered by it and he is still trying to get at my fingers (I washed my hands). Is mint harmful at all? I have seen stuff called cat mints in the store so I assume it's ok, but I never thought a cat would like mint!

He has super fresh breath now anyway :razz: I tried a taste of it and it is pretty strong.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

probably was too strong for him, and since it was an oil, it took a bit of effort (drooling etc) to get rid of it.

The mint PLANT is in the same family as catnip (hence the nickname cat mint). Leaves would be fine, either fresh or dried.

4. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Thanks, I don't plan on giving it to him, I was just surprised that he was interessted in my fingers. I have even heard of people using that stuff to cover "pee spots" or to deter cats from something, so I never imagined he would sniff it or lick it! Even after he was done drooling all over he was after my hands. It did makes his breath nice and fresh though :D I rubbed a little on my tounge to see how it was, and it is really strong, but it does make your breath nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.