Is my vial too old?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nancy & Bee, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy & Bee

Nancy & Bee Member

Have to ask...when is it time to move on from an insulin vial? Bee is on Lantus & I've had her on the same vial since she was dx on 10/30! She's on such a small dose that we're not even 1/4 of the way through the vial. There are no floaters & no cloudiness. It's been refrigerated the whole time. Input??

2. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

3. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

From the "LANTUS & LEVEMIR: INFO, PROPER HANDLING, & STORAGE" sticky:
    [ viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151 ]

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR INSULIN IS NO LONGER GOOD?

--- When you lose regulation for no reason.

--- If you see any hint of "floaties"/"tiny particles"... discard the insulin.

--- If insulin is cloudy or discolored, or if rubber stopper is cracked... replace insulin immediately.

--- The manufacturer of Lantus recommends discarding the insulin after 28 days of use. However, many Lantus users have been able to use a vial/cartridge/pen for much longer. Most Lantus cartridge/pen users toss cartridges after about a month of use.

ETA: My vials typically lasted several months but still had quite a bit left in them when they finally went bad. I've since switched to cartridges and have typically been able to use them to the last drop.

4. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

I think your vial is fine, judging by that 64 you just caught. The way your SS looks, Bee is going through a series of rebounds right now, and it would be a good idea to get as many tests as time allows. :)

Edited: Just noticed I missed the reason for your numbers today.. dose adjustments. Check with the Lantus ISG, however that 64 didn't call for a dose reduction. That was a really nice number!

5. Nancy & Bee

Nancy & Bee Member

:mrgreen: Thanks for all the posts.

I think we're ok for a little while longer. I hate to waste so much good stuff!
    Will continue to keep a close watch on the vial.

6. Nancy & Bee

Nancy & Bee Member

Sent a pm Carolyn. Taking some time to go through. Thanks for your input!!

7. Carolyn and Spot

No problem at all Nancy, you're doing just great with Bee. If you see the numbers start to climb for no apparent reason, then you can suspect it :)

8. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Nancy, I was going to pose this same question today. You and I started Lantus within a couple of weeks of each other and we're still on our same Lantus cartridge also. However, I'm starting to see a climb in numbers but I'm just not sure if it's due to the holidays messing with our schedule, or if it's really insulin poop-out...

9. Carolyn and Spot

Yours looks fine too Sherri.. with Lantus, if it's failing, you're not going to get a 200pt drop. You have a few issues going on and they are:
    1. Holiday routine, missed doses and dose fluctuations
    2. HC food

I'd put Stash right back at 1/2u and hold til the bouncing stops, and post in LL for experienced eyes to help you out as your curve begins to flatten. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.