Is Neosporin Safe for cats?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tiffmaxee, Aug 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I just got an email from my pet insurance. They do not recommend Neosporin for cats because vets have reported life-threatening anaphylactic reactions to the antibiotic ingredients most specifically in ophthalmic preparations that include neomycin and polymyxin B.

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Following.

Curious to see if anyone else has heard anything. Some of us have had cats who have reacted to the use of Neosporin to a lesser degree... swelling of the affected area, redness, soreness, and the appearance of little red bumps.

Years ago I switched to Halo Cloud Nine Herbal Healing Salve for Dogs and Cats as needed... mostly because my cats often groom each other and I was concerned about them ingesting any Neosporin left on Alex's ears...

Thanks for sharing!

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem but just like people if they are allergic them it's a problem. I could eat an entire jar of peanut butter but I know someone who can't even breath it in the air.

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Interesting. Thanks for sharing Elise!

5. Rardito

Rardito Member

I use it on Mitsy and haven't had any issues.

6. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Murphy's ears became flame red within a few weeks of using neosporin (back in 2015) Here's that thread with pictures
    haven't used anything since - for me, testing is easier without using an ointment

7. tiffmaxee

I used it for Max and he was fine. Apparently 10% are allergic to the ingredients. I don’t know how many have faced life threatening reactions. Still going forward I wouldn’t use it again because there are alternatives. When my cancer kitty stopped eating a vet said we would try Valium. I learned from friends that it can cause liver failure in “some” cats. It was the last time she ate on her own. Although she was fine I never used Valium again. Looking back if I had it to do over again I would. The risk would have been worth it in that case as she was nearing the rainbow bridge and there weren’t any alternatives.

BTW they say Neosporin is still safe for dogs.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I am confused by the first part of that statement since neomycin and polymyxin B are two of the three active ingredient in Neosporin. There are ophthalmic meds that contain the same ingredients as Neosporin but as a sterile/pure preparation.

9. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

Caused my cat's ear to ooze and bleed after 3 days.

Seems like it's not the common reaction though.

10. tiffmaxee

11. Carolyn Ross

Carolyn Ross Member

My cat also developed red, warm ears that lasted for a couple of weeks while using a triple antibiotic ointment with pain relief. I thought I was making him more comfortable using it, because it's been recommended here, and instead I was irritating his poor ears. The vet suggested the inflamation could be from the antibiotic cream and said to just use Vaseline. I don't use anything at all anymore since he was fine before I began to use the antibiotic. His ears look normal, I can get my BG readings and I don't need to worry about any irritations or infections. After I use the lancet, I just apply a bit of pressure to the spot using a tiny piece of paper towel that I used to protect my finger from the prick when getting the reading, and the wound disappears and he's happy, I'm happy. I don't think using neosporin should be recommended offhand unless you make sure you watch for redness and warmth after using it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  12. tiffmaxee

Even many humans are allergic to it as when I had something removed my dermatologist gave me Aquaphor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.