? Is prednisone possible for diabetic?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darnell & Sprocket (GA), Dec 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone. I just got the horrible news of my diabetic of almost 4 yrs, Sprocket has kidney lymphoma. Did ultrasound wednesday. & they sampled the fluid. Enlarged left kidney with fluid around it. Was told large cell lymphoma.
    The vets mentioned taking out his kidney & chemo, which we cant afford and he has already been through so much that I would not want to put him through that especially since it may not work anyway.

****She also mentioned prednisone.
    is this possible?

he is on lantus 2u currently.
    His appy has been bad so I got cyproheptidine appy stim.
    He is also starting buprenex as he is in pain.
    He has been under 300 mostly for about 2-3 weeks.
    I dont want him to suffer but we dont have alot of money to do big treatment.
    We will be getting xrays next week of his chest to make sure it has not spread as they also saw mineralizations in his liver & nodules on his pancreas.
    I cant imagine life without him.
    Would prednisone be possible to allow him more time to live?
    how long is that treatment for lymphoma? anyone know?
    What are peoples experiences?
    Thanks.

just fyi. I am posting but its real late now and I am sleepy. I will respond as soon as I can as I have to go get his meds before vet closes right after I get up but I will respond.
    Thanks

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Darnell....If prednisolone will improve Sprocket's quality of life, then you give it.

You just adjust the insulin around it.

There are times when a treatment is necessary for another condition....and in this case, the diabetes takes a back seat. You do what you need to do to keep him comfortable and if that means increasing the insulin, that's what you do.

3. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

Any other advice??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.