Is There A Diet Only Thread?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by skybar22, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

I have yet to use any insulin injections and it has been 6 days since I changed to wet food only. Morgaine's numbers have been between 123-162. They had been going down but I have been spot checking so I did my first 4 PM check today, 4 hours after her last feeding and she was 153. I am still giving her amoxy and it has a bit of sucrose in it and she had her last dose with her Noon feeding. I would like to continue with diet only and see where that goes over the next week but I was disappointed that she was 153 because she had been consistently getting lower. I need some guidance for diet controlled. Can anyone here help? I don't see a thread here but I may have missed it since I have been immersed in reading so many articles and threads.

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi! Awesome #s for diet only, congrats on canned food only! Proud of you!
    I am by no means an expert.. but I can offer good advice & it will be up to you to decide. First off, I see you said you got a BG after 4 hours of eating, what was the BG prior to eating? This will help us know how well kitty's pancreas is working! For example.. a kitty OTJ (off the juice) may be 120, eat & then up to 4 hours later be under a 100! Pretty cool, huh?
    If you were to ask a Vet, they would say these #s are well within the reference range on the lab values they test against for feline diabetes, we like to think 120 & under around here is "normal"
    If you were asking me.. a non expert, I would be inclined to want to see the #s around 120 prior to eating & then 60-100 up to 4 hours after eating. However, this is totally up to you & lets see what others weigh in & say. It sounds like if you do decide to give insulin to help that lil pancreas along (which I would do) you wont need it long or very much! Good Luck & welcome!!

**Also, if kitty is on an antibiotic I hear that can raise #s a bit too ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.