Is there a low-dust clumping litter?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy and Kitty, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Is there ANYONE who makes a low-dust clumping litter? Dr. Lisa has written that clumping is the cleanest. Sometimes I worry that, as well as we're managing Kitty's diabetes, it will be the kitty litter dust that gets him! :roll: Would love suggestions.

2. SherylandClouseau

SherylandClouseau Member

Dr Elsey's is low dust

but hard to find locally for me- I can find the "Cat Attract" version, which is what I am using, but the regular is a lot less expensive and works just as well.

It is the lowest dust, firmest clumping that I have found for my multicat/multibox household.

3. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

I have been very happy with Everclean multi cat version. The bigger the litter box the less tracking.

4. Kathy and Kitty

Sheryl,

Was there a line missing from your post? What brand is "Cat Attract"?

thanks to both of you! I'll try them.

5. Kathy and Kitty

Duh, sorry - Dr. Elseys! Just saw it. Thanks. ohmygod_smile

6. Suezq

Suezq New Member

We use this-> Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Litter - 18 lb. & 40 lb.
    Precious Cat Ultra is aï¿œunique formulation that combines the heavy non tracking granules of the Classic with a medium grain clay. The result is an excellent clumping litter that prevents moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray, while providing a clump that will not break down. Ultra is perfect for multi-cat families and those cat owners with sifting or mechanical litter boxes. Like Classic, it has superior odor control.

- 99.9% Dust Free
    - Hypo-allergenic, contains no plant proteins
    - All Natural
    - Hard clumping
    - Multi-cat
    - Ideal for sifting/mechanical litter boxes
    - Superior odor control

Available in 18 lb. and 40 lb. bags

I used to use Everclean and it is excellent also.

7. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

They all say 99.9% dust free but they never are. Is the Cat Attract really less dusty? I would love to find a good non-scented LOW DUST clumping litter. I'm just never happy with any of them, though I've had the best luck so far with EverClean, it is still quite dusty.

8. Becky and AJ (GA)

Becky and AJ (GA) Member

I just started using Special Kitty Superior Clumping Formula that I got in Wal-Mart. I don't find it that dusty at all and it really holds odors too. I am very pleased with it. It's not expensive either. I think I paid around $7 for 28 lbs. They also have a crystal version too for around $8.

The box says "less tracking", but my guys still track it. It doesn't seem to matter what brand I use, they still track it.

9. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I've used that. To me it is still WAY too dusty. ANy litter that leaves a coating of dust in my bathroom is dusty. I'm hoping there is some Precious cat at the store. I'd like to try it.

10. Becky and AJ (GA)

Becky and AJ (GA) Member

Strange. I just put some more in the litter pan and there was hardly any dust. Oh, well. I haven't used Precious Cat. Let us know how it is if you find it.

11. Suezq

Suezq New Member

I recommended Dr Easley's Precious Cat because it isn't dusty at all, when I pour it there is no dust. I love it and it is way cheaper than the Everclean I used to use. I get mine delivered from The Pet Pantry along with my guys food.

12. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I was going to say Pet Smart brand exiquisicat is good and comes in fragrance free. But the last box I got, seems to be very dusty. So, now I don't know.

13. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have found that the dustness/texture and other attributes of the PetSmart Exiquisicat litter varies a lot. It seems that they get it from different companies who make it a little different. I have liked the recent ones I have bought. I buy the 40 lb boxes and the recent come with the old style packaging (little in plastic bag) vice the newer bag less box.

14. Johanna&Oshi (GA)

Johanna&Oshi (GA) New Member

I and my cats love World's Best Cat Litter original formula. 1) no dust, 2) lasts a long time between complete changes, 3) biodegradable and corn based, 4) clumps well, 5) controls odor well, and 6) has pleasant grain smell

15. Kathy and Kitty

I appreciate all of these replies very much! Here's another question: Any suggestions for the best way to transition a kitty from one litter to another?

Also - I saw the Dr. Elsway brand at PetSmart, but it was a lot more expensive than the Everclean. I bought a bag of Everclean to try. Price does get to be an issue!

16. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I just bought the Precious Cat (by Dr. Elsey) today at PetSmart. It was WAY less expensive than Everclean. Like 8.99 for 20 lbs. are you sure you were looking at the litter? I switched out our bathroom box. It really does seem less dusty so far. Pearl christened it and came out without grey paws. That's a good sign.

17. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

To transition - You can mix the litters together until you run out of the old and then just use the new.

Or you can do it all at once.

I've done it both ways and doesn't seem to matter to my girls.

I liked the World's best as well and actually liked the sweatscoop even better - that is

until I read on here how the corn and wheat can be allergens to the cats. And some cats may tend to eat it (trying to get that carb fix).

So, I stopped using it and went back to clay scoop style.

Dr. Lisa talks about this on her website, you may want to read that.

18. Kathy and Kitty

Kitty didn't like S'wheat scoop.

I thought I read on the package that the Dr. Elsway recommends NOT mixing litters.

Kitty goes the vet Tuesday, pre-dental for a week from Wed. I was wondering if I should just keep everything constant until he's done with the dental.

Or is that making a mountain out of a... YOU know. :lol: Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.