? Is there a more recent dry food list

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by apple, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple

apple Member

2. storm

storm Member

i haven't found an updated list anywhere but do know so far there are only 2 safe ( low carb/high protein) dry foods i am aware of for sugar cats and 1 semi safe
    2 safe ones are Young Again Zero formulas and Dr Elsey's CleanProtein - YA Zero is 1% or less carbs/50% min protein and CleanProtein is 5% or less carbs/59% min protein, both only purchased from the manufacturers websites and the semi safe one is EVO Grain Free Turkey and Chicken cat and kitten, in the purple bag but its 12% carbs/50% min protein, you can purchase that at several pet websites but cheapest i have found it is on Chewy.
    if you go to the Dr Elsey's website and click the contact me option you can ask for a free sample of the dry, they only have chicken formula available for purchase right now and salmon is supposed to be coming soon, they also have clean protein wet

3. apple

apple Member

Thanks.

I'm expanding my parameters. I have to find foods he will self-feed, which means moving beyond the three (ya, Dr. E, evo) suggested foods.

Many formulas have changed since 2008 and some foods on the list no longer exist. I was hoping to find more current information.

4. racn1320

racn1320 Member

I read somewhere on here that evo dry food was at 8% not 12. purina dm is 12% . correct me of im wrong

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  5. storm

storm Member

not any more, i was told they recently changed their formula and the EVO turkey and chicken is now 12% carbs .. the bag i bought friday states on the bag max 12% .. figured for free feeding 7 cats 1 with FD would be ok but did a curve yesterday and he never got out of the 500s and i only added a 1/4 cup of the EVO to a bowl of 1-1/2 cups YA but he was only picking out the EVO and leaving the YA alone even tho he was getting his friskies pate wet at am and pm feedings the 12% was enough to make his numbers skyrocket .. so i had to pull his bowl of dry this am pm ps was mid 300's so may either go back to YA Zero even tho he was not really eating it once he started insulin or i will give the Clean Protein a try .. trying to find a happy medium with feeding 1 with FD and 6 who are not

6. apple

apple Member

Wellness core and m/d are right above the 10% cut. I thought one of these may be worth a try.

While I don't mind force feeding him, and he doesn't mind it either. I would like to find something he would eat on his own.

7. storm

storm Member

best thing to do would be contact the manufacturers directly of the ones you want to try feeding if the nutritional analysis doesn't specifically state what percent of carbs the product contains, you just have to keep in mind its not only about carbs, it should be high protein as well as having not less then 25% fats and then you have ash ( phosphorous) which shouldn't be any higher then 300 mg plus calories 250-400 cals are good .. many of the speciality dry foods are wicked high in carbs even the ones designed specifically for sugar cats. have you considered Natures Variety Raw Instinct think they altered the name to Instinct Raw, the carbs is under 10% at around 7%
    http://www.instinctpetfood.com/for-cats

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  8. apple

apple Member

Natures was my first choice, but it didn't look like kibble. It looked like plugs of raw food in blob shape. I want hard kibble.

He eats stella and chewys for the texture and that helps some, but he needs crunch. He will let the canned food sit until it gets crusty hard and then eat it. I won't let it sit out that long. He's very into texture.

Yes, once you get the carbs sorted out, then I go into meltdown trying to sort through the other things on the nutrition list. It get my brain over loading......

Edit: my vet wants less than 20% fat....

9. storm

storm Member

depends on which Instinct Raw product you are looking at, some of them are just soft raw food pressed into round or pellet shaped pieces which are easily broken up into what ever size pieces you want while others have the pellet shaped pieces mixed in with the hard crunch kibble .. like lucky charms hard cereal mixed with marshmallow pieces .. I contacted them and am waiting to hear back as to which dry Instinct product would best meet the special dietary needs my FD kitty needs while being affordable enough that i can feed it to my non FD cats as well.

10. apple

apple Member

When you get that info would you be willing to share?

11. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Thats great i just bought her a new bag,ill use that if she wont eat wet food. she loves daves turkey and giblets wet food and evo wet food with gravy

12. storm

storm Member

absolutely

13. storm

storm Member

yes i didnt realize it was 12% until after i purchased it and it arrived now i have give my guy only wet and pull up the other cats dry at bedtime so he cant get into it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.