Is there a protocol for Lantus?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by fonzie, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fonzie

fonzie New Member

My cat fonzie was diagnosed with diabetes in Mid October after he was given a Depo-shot by a vet (that should have known better!). We had to keep increasing his units of Lantus to bring down his blood glucose levels. We did this slowly and responsibly. One week ago I noticed he was acting tired and tested his blood AFTER giving him 4 1/2 units. He tested at 67 - ugh - terrible night - up all night, at 2:30 am he got down to 52 and then started coming back up again. I usually don't test every time I administer Lantus but have started since that happened. On 2/25 he tested at 267 and my vet told me to give him 3 1/2 units of lantus - which I did. I tested him 13 hours after administering the 3 1/2 units and he was at a 65!!! I wonder how low he actually got overnight. Now I am at a loss. He usually stays low for about a day and then within 3 days is nearing 300 again. Is there a lantus protocol I could follow? Sometimes the vets are not even available when the BG level comes back questionable and I don't know how much to give him. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Absolutely there is a protocol and unfortunately, your vet is not following it. Please go over the Lantus Support Group. viewforum.php?f=9 Read the stickies at the top of the page first to get valuable information on Lantus and how to use it. Then post there and ask for feedback.

This health page has users of all insulins posting, so you will get feedback from Lantus users here. But the Support group page is all Lantus users.

I am sure you will get lots of good advice and help there. Good luck!

3. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Yes,there is a protocol and, as Sue said, you're not on it. Lantus works quite a bit differently from the earlier insulins and vets are slow in getting up to speed on the particular wrinkles. Lantus Land is your best bet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.