Is there anything that will stop the constant sneezing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by maryjoandsmokie, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Is there somethng OTC i can give Fluffy for sneezing. He has sneezed all night and today.
    I called vet and he won't give anything except another antibiotic and i don't want that.
    He is gettig L-lysine.
    Please help if you can. Fluffy is real tired.
    Thank you.

2. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

I know they can take benadryl and chlortrimeton. Not sure how much of either though. Hope someone helps with ideas soon. I know it sucks...my Abigail has constant runny eyes and occasional bouts of sneezing.
    Oh yeah, my vet said nose drops for her sneezing. I got her generic nasal spray but that was hard to administer. Hope Fluffy is better soon!

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I remember my vet said benedryl, but I don't remember how much. Sorry I can't help more.

4. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

benadryl - 1/2 tablet every 12 hours (make sure the only active ingredient is diphenhydramine HCL, 25 mg)

OR

chlortrimeton - 1/4 - 1/2 tablet every 12 hours (active ingredient is chlorpheniramine maleate, 4 mg)

5. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Thanks so much Karen. I really appreciate this information.
    Thanks Jill and Debby for your concern.
    Hope all your sweet kitties and doing well.
    mary jo

6. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

lysine only helps if it is the herpes or some other virus causing the sneezing. It inhibits the replication of the virus. It is not something to be given with out a reason because it can cause a issues with the absorption of other amino acids (which is what lysine is - an amino acid - and how it inhibits the replication by denying the virus access to other amino acids)

The cause of the sneezing would determine the treatment. Is it a virus? is it just the excessive pollen this year? or might there be a foreign body up the nose?

Connie

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

thanks for that explanation. I started giving my civvie Sydney lysine after she sounded a little congested and sneezing. Now, I'm not so sure - she goes to dentist vet tomorrow for her overnight visit and dental on friday - I'll mention it to him as it could be related to the teeth or not....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.