IS THERE SUCH A THING AS AN AUTOMATIC NEEDLE PEN INSTEAD OF A SHOT?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KUMA CAT, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KUMA CAT

KUMA CAT Member

My beautiful 11 year old male cat, Kuma, was just diagnosed with diabetes two days ago. His blood sugar was 412. He had had two recent bouts of pancreatitis in the last few months which is something he'd never had before. I am not sure if his pancreatitis attacks were from his high blood sugar, or if the pancreatitis attacks brought on the diabetes. Does anyone know? Also, I am not a good needle person. I have given him his shots the last two days as I hold his neck scruff, but some days it feels like the needle just doesn't want to go in, and I keep poking, and he starts to get upset and yowl and even tried to nip at me. I get so nervous. It's my fault, I am sure, as I just don't have the technique down. I am using needles called "Monoject 29G x 1/2". For people that have trouble with giving shots, is there such a thing as an automatic insulin needle pen of some sort, where the needle pops out and administers the insulin when you hold the pen next to the skin (kind of like a little blood tester units for humans)?

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
    Reason for edit: Welcome! Removed the GA prefix from the subject line of your thread. GA means "Guardian Angel" or "Gone Ahead" after kitty passes."
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.
    Umm ... we use the GA to mean a cat has Gone Ahead, or become a Guardian Angel and passed away; you may want to change the title (little drop down in upper right of post).

I'm not sure how the pens work as I use a syringe to withdraw the insulin from the pen. some folks find that grasping the fur and rolling it makes it easier to shoot into the area.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info,
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!)

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

The pens can work if you are shooting whole units, but many shoot 1/2 units so that is why we use the syringes. I am not sure about this, but the syringes may also have smaller needles. However, for saving money, the pens are the way to go. Since you probably could use every drop in the pen before the insulin becomes ineffective, one package of pens could last 9 months or more depending on your dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.