Is there such a thing as feeding too much?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kerri2455, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerri2455

Kerri2455 Member

Hi all
    Curious if I am letting my cat eat too much. I feed all 6 of mine in the morning and then again at night and they don't normally eat during the day as I no longer leave dry food out since Oliver was diagnosed in Dec.

He eats well. Has his insulin and then eats more. Am I ok letting him eat all he wants? I know he shouldn't eat 2 hrs they say before testing his BG but once he's had his insulin if there is left over food we just leave it out for the cats to munch on during the night and I don't know if that's ok if he eats like 3 hrs after his first meal and insulin.

THANK YOU
    Kerri and Oliver

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I feed my girls four times a day and any leftovers stay out for them except for the two hours before shot time.

AAHA Guidelines say it is ideal to feed four times and that it is okay for underweight cats to free-feed.

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I free feed Jones. The only way he has ever eaten.

Kerri2455 likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I found that the best way to to manage a kitty's weight and make sure it's getting the right amount of calories per day is to get a reasonably priced digital baby scales to check weight regularly, keep a brief log of amount of food set out each day (e.g. no. of tins/pouches per day), and regularly assess the kitty against a body condition chart. Assuming that the kitty starts at ideal weight then if the kitty starts to gain weight feed a little less each day; if the kitty loses weight then feed a little extra each day until return to ideal weight then reduce amount a little to maintain at ideal. Weekly weight checks are usually enough.

Of course the above is all well and good if you're only managing one or two kitties. I imagine things could be a little trickier with a clowder of six! :)

Mogs

Kim & Weetzie and Kerri2455 like this.
  5. Kerri2455

Kerri2455 Member

Thanks for all the comments! I'm glad I am not over feeding! I have two cats who refuse to eat wet food so they are on the DM purina dry just because that's what we have as Oliver some times likes crunchies but i make sure not too much.
    Then the other 4 go through 3 of the 5.5 oz cans Morning and again at night with some left over that they graze on during the late morning and later night time too.
    I just wasn't sure if him eating 3 hrs after insulin was affecting anything.

I will start to leave some frozen canned out during the day since it seems that its ok to free feed.

Oliver has gained a little weight, his spine is no longer drastically felt which is nice. He had been 18 lbs and got down to 12 and is back now to 13. He's a big boy.

Appreciate your help everyone!

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

If the food you feed has carbs, more food would, of course, mean more carbs, and that could impact his BG. If you are feeding low-carb wet, it should not be a problem.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Kerri2455

Kerri2455 Member

He's on a high fiber from Royal Canin while we get his IBD issues sorted out but i mix that in with Merrick Purrfect Bistro pate chicken which is low carb. The high fiber food i think has 9 carbs which is higher than the Merrick but under 10 so i hope we are ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.