Is this helping her?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nb123, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nb123

nb123 New Member

Cookie turned 15 this year. She was diagnosed in May 2018 with diabetes and put on Lantus, 3 units twice a day. She still urinates too much and drinks too much water. In July, I dropped her to 2.5 units (my decision) because she wasn't socializing at all like she would've been - I was concerned the dosage was too much because all she did was sleep and eat - I know that's a cat's life but Cookie came out more before starting the drugs. She does come out to socialize more often now. But the urination is still excessive as is the drinking - she fills up 1/3 of the litter box on her own, per day. So is this really doing anything? I know that's a horrible question to ask. And I have mentioned the urinating to the vet but because she sees the numbers improve on her glucose chart, she's sure it's helping. Maybe it's just age and she should ride out her golden years without being picked twice a day.

Feeling discouraged and worried that I'm doing the wrong thing.
    N

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The only way to know if a dose is too much or too little is to test at home. 3 units is a high starting dose. The recommended starting dose is 1 unit twice a day. Please start home testing to keep your cat safe and to find the ideal dose. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  3. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Wow that is a lot of urine for 1 cat on 3 units..

1.) Can you tell us, what's she eating, how much a day, how many times a day?

---wet food is best, most of us here use Friskies or Fancy Feast Pate but there's loads of others so long as they're under 10% carbs "as fed". Mini-meals work great, it's less stress on the pancreas which is supposed to produce the insulin, so feeding 3-4 mini meals a day is good for most cats, if yours agrees and your schedule allows.

---if you feed wet food, add water to each and every meal and to all left overs too, always add water.

2.) Any other medical issues besides diabetes? Kidneys, etc...?

---constipation, kidney and thyroid issues can make kitties drink a ton more water, not just diabetes alone.

3.) Any medication besides Lantus..?

4.) Her behavior normally, and what she's like now...?

Nooo, don't be discouraged - we'll work you out, no worries! We just need some more information is all. My Fena is 14 and got diagnosed just his August, at the end. There's SO much hope for your Cookie - just let us know! :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.