? Is This Remission?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joelle & Ollie, Dec 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joelle & Ollie

Joelle & Ollie Member

Okay, so for the past couple of days, Oliver has been below 200 on ALL pre-shot tests. I re-test every time to make sure it's not a wonky strip, but the number always comes out the same (+ or - 10). He's been acting fine, playing and eating and drinking normally. I haven't given him insulin since his Saturday PM shot, and all Saturday he was running really low and looked at risk for hypoglycemia. His +5 after this morning's no-shoot was only 108... Are these good numbers? Should I be worried? Should I be elated?...

I'm so confused... He came from possible DKA a week ago to... Absolutely no problems at all? My fiance is telling me not to worry and to be excited that he's doing so well, but I've never seen an animal seemingly regulated this quickly after diagnosis. Could it be that his diagnosis was wrong and that he had minor pancreas issues? He's seeing the vet on the 27th and I'm going to go over all of his numbers with him then, but I just want to make sure that I'm not doing Ollie wrong by not giving him his insulin. Honestly, with his PS numbers the way they've been, I've been terrified to give the shots.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

He's doing really well. It looks like his pancreas is working but not at 100% yet, hence the mid blues among the greens. I don't have experience with easing a kitty into remission so I'm not sure what to say. Let's see what others think. I suggest you change your title to "Is this remission?" or similar and put the blue question mark icon from the menu at the left end of the title bar on it. :)

3. Joelle & Ollie

Joelle & Ollie Member

Ahhh, thank you for the suggestion! :bighug:

That's what I thought. He's not going high enough even without his insulin for me to feel AT ALL comfortable giving him insulin and Idk how to ease him further into remission at this point. Hopefully, someone can help me figure out what to do from here. :cat:

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Kris - his pancreas is showing signs of working but does not seem to be ready to work alone. I never used Vetsulin but based on the lovely blues and greens, *I think* they'd have to be reversed. So blue PS and going into green without a shot. With Maury, I was literally at a dose that was just half the needle (o_O) of insulin for a while before I stopped altogether. With that in mind, I would be hesitant to even give a half drop dose of Vetsulin on a green PS since he's improved in such a short time. Are there any food tweaks you could do to reduce carbs with his food? Maybe that could work and you could stop the shots?

*Just my thoughts* Glad he is doing so well though! :cat:

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if those mid blues are just the left overs from what looks like a bounce while on the 1.5u dose.
    Given you are using a pet meter, it looks to me like Ollie is very close if not already in remission. Normal BG according to IDEXX pet labs is 72 to 175. With the pet meter you are bound to get low blue numbers even in a non-diabetic cat. If I were you, I would continue to take BG readings mornings and night at what were regular shot times. Stick with your normal feeding schedule so no food before these tests and see if his numbers hold. If he remains within normal limits (preferably under 150) for the majority of the readings, for a period of 14 days, you can consider Ollie in remission. If you get a reading higher than roughly 125 or so at the normal pre-shot test time, feed him and recheck again 3 hours later to see if his numbers have come down and his pancreas is working.

Fingers crossed. Ollie is looking good! Happy Holidays! Keep us posted! :D

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.