Issues days after gas sedation

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Caring4Claire, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caring4Claire

Caring4Claire Member

We adopted Claire over two years ago knowing she had diabetes and FIV with the intention of just loving this little lady for her last years. About a year ago she started having seizures unrelated to BG levels, assumed to be a brain tumor. She’s around 16 years old. All of this sounds like a lot but really she has been doing very well with a good quality of life.

We did a vet check up with a new vet on Monday. Claire wasn’t cooperating for blood work so they pushed me to give her gas to sedate her. I was told over and over it was safe for her. Blood work and urine all looked good, even BG wasn’t high enough to be a big alarm as she is asymptomatic.

Yesterday she started acting weird. Off balance, seemingly blind, nervous pacing, and just not well. BG has been around 175-195. Eating fine. She has acted this way a bit before after seizures but this is by far the worst we have seen. So my question is - could this be from metabolizing the gas they gave her? Or just dumb luck on the timing?

Of course vets are closed until Monday. Emergency vet said since we’ve had these symptoms before just not as severe and it’s not hypoglycemia, to wait it out. We have her in a safe spot but won’t be home most of today.

Thoughts?

2. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hi Jenny,

I'm sorry no one has responded. Weekend are slower & I'm guessing that like me, people who have viewed your post don't know what to tell you. Its good you reached out to the Emergency Vet. Hoping you when you returned home she was/is no longer having issues.

3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Amy - I'm sorry that no one has responded to your post or been able to offer an opinion about what's happening to Claire. I also agree that perhaps no one has responded because they just don't have an answer. I haven't experienced what you're going through with Claire, so I can't offer any insight. Is she feeling better now? I certainly hope so! It was so kind that you gave her a home, at 14 and with health issues, just to love her up! I really hope everything is OK with her. Please let us know...

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Was that Claire's BG during/right after the strange behaviour (pacing, seeming blindness and off balance) or just a general range when BG has been randomly checked? If BG was not checked immediately at the time of this strange behavior or any past seizures, then I don't think hypoglycemia can be ruled out and strongly recommend Claire's BG be checked immediately if she exhibits any of those symptoms again in the future. Hypoglycemia can kill or lead to permanent disability.

It seems to me that any symptoms of a reaction to the gas would have manifested shortly after administration... not 5 days later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.