It has been a week, is it safe to increase Lantus dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by kurikitty, Feb 17, 2019.

1. kurikitty

kurikitty Member

So my cat has been on Lantus since the 9th of this month. Today I am doing his curve and was wondering if someone could check his spreadsheet and tell me if they think it's ok to raise his dose from 0.5u to 0.75u. I've been doing the Start low, go slow method. Thanks in advance!

2. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

I can't comment on dosing but I see on your SS that you wonder why Grey's BSL are higher in the morning. It's because you didn't shoot during the PM cycle and that's why. Naturally, since you aren't shooting, his insulin levels will deplete and his BSL will rise. I understand why you didn't shoot though since his BSL are under 200 and he's new to Lantus :)

I'd also recommend doing an additional test(s) if you can before bed so you can figure out if you're able to shoot if Grey is under 200.

Someone with much more experience should be along soon to help you!

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Under a SLGS guidelines, you hold the dose if you see nadirs between 90 and 149, which you have done. I would keep the same dose and try to get some spot checks at night. Many cats go lower at night and we determine how to dose a cat based on how low the dose takes the cat. A test just before you go to bed is a good one to get.