It's been a long time....

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA, Oct 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

I'm not sure I even remember the last time I was here... so many names I don't recognize, but still so many that I do!

I was reading back over some of the older posts... and some of the newer ones... and am really glad to see that this place is still here. Reading the stickies it sure sounds like I knew what I was talking about! :p

Funny how much I've "forgotten"... there was a time when acrocats were pretty much my life. And then, of course, I took in so many special needs kitties because of Fletcher: Gabi (deaf, CRF, grand mal seizures), Robbie (another atypical diabetic with the 19 hour hypo), Casey (diet controlled FD), Greta (diabetes insipidus), Rex (untreatable hyperthyroid), Tiko (yet another atypical FD who fought off DKA 3 times-- while not needing insulin), Honey (emaciated stray who came to me 3 weeks after losing Fletcher, then left me 6 weeks later).
    Also had my Itty Bitty who had all her teeth removed due to stomatitis.

Now I have Taylor, who has been with me since Fletcher's diagnosis in 2007, and the "babies": Missy and Boog who my daughter brought to me as kittens to keep while she was in school... turns out Boog has an enlarged heart so he's staying with me (Missy, too!). Maya has been missing for 3 weeks but my heart still hopes she'll come home...

Anyway... this is a very nostalgic place. Not even sure what made me log in, but I'm glad I did.

Welcome to all who I've never "met" and hello to those I've never forgotten...

BJM and Elizabeth and Bertie like this.
  2. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hello Carolynn
    I don't usually look at this forum at all but just happened to see your name as the most recent poster on the forum list and had to look in!

I remember you and Fletcher very well from back in the long ago days on the old board... yourself, Patti, Beth, Steph, Lara and a few others I can't remember... our dear little acrocats, all long gone but never ever forgotten. You're right, this is a nostalgic place and so many of our kitties FD and otherwise have passed since you were here. I lost Tom in 2008 and his sister, the beautiful Sophie, two years later, and now have the equally beautiful Sapphire who is six and an endless joy.

Yes, there are lots of new names here but some of the old ones are still around and the whole board is the most amazing place. I hope you will pop back soon.

Hugs to you and your babies,

Diana

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Reason for edit: Correction
    Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Oh Diana I remember you an your Tom well! It's so hard to believe that I first came here more than 10 years (!!!) ago! So much has changed, yet this board has persevered in some form or another.
    When I lost Tiko a year and a half ago, I remember telling my vet that I didn't know what to do with myself... for so many years I had kitties that needed shots or meds every day. To not have any that needed that made me feel so lost.
    But in her wisdom, she said to me, "Maybe it's time for you to take a break and give more to yourself." She was right... although I do have a special needs kitty with Boog and his heart.
    Looking back, I sometimes wonder how we did all that we did, but I guess it's just the way we all are... and why we all ended up here.

4. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Hi Carolynn!
    So nice to see you again. I remember you well and your journey with Fletcher. We came on board in 2005. My Chip (GA) and Charlie (GA) were more "garden variety" diabetics, but being somewhat of a medical and science geek, I was fascinated with the stories of the trailblazing acro cats. You and Fletcher and a handful of others stand out iny mind.

Like you, I tend to take in the difficult cases. We jokingly call ourselves the "Island of Misfit Toys" here and so a little over a year ago I adopted an acro cat. You and all of the other acro folks who posted over the years gave me the background education I needed to take the cat on. In fact, we just returned last night from CSU where Tubby had SRT this past week.

So for what its worth, thanks. Please hang around and pop in once in awhile to say hi. I mostly lurk these days, but it's nice to cross paths with others from the old days.

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hello Carolynn!
    Hope all is well with you and yours! It's good to *see* you.

For those of you who don't know Carolynn and the legendary Fletcher, she was one of the pioneers of this group. Carolynn was instrumental in bringing about much needed education and change in attitude towards caregivers of high dose kitties, from "You're going to kill your cat by giving so much insulin" to "Give your cat as much insulin as they need".

Hope you stop by more often!

6. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

How awesome that you got yourself your very own super thirsty kitty! I love it! SRT seems to be so much more common now-- it was just getting started when I had my boy, but I remember thinking what an amazing opportunity and that I hoped kitties could benefit from it. My best hopes and wishes that Tubby has an amazing result!

7. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Hi Jill! Thanks for your kind words... it's been so long! Thank goodness for the change in attitude towards dosing-- my Fletcher was never a "science experiment" like I was once told, he was just a big gulper and THANK GOD I (and the others) didn't let the Negative Nellies drive us away. It's really gratifying to see just how many kitties are getting what THEY need.
    So good to "see" you too:

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Carolyn. I'm a newer member with an IAA girl who has benefited from the wise counsel of "give kitty as much as they need". Like so many folks past and present, I found veterinary expertise for my girl's high dose condition woefully lacking but seeing the strides made here with so many kitties before us, gave us the courage and fortitude to stay the course. I will forever be grateful to all you pioneers who have made our journey so much easier than we anticipated. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.