It's been a long time...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Djamila, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Well, Sam has been in remission for almost two years now. This week he had some stomach troubles, and I started to notice his urine output was pretty high compared to normal. So this afternoon I tested him and sure enough he was 302 :-(

The most recent test before today was about three weeks ago and was 87.

I want to believe the high number is just because he hasn't been feeling well. But not feeling well is also how I realized he had diabetes in the first place, so chicken and egg right now....

I'm guessing the first step will be to test him for a few days in a row now, but at what point is he considered out of remission and back into diabetes-land?

Thanks for any wisdom you all can share on this,
    Janette

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you "fixed" his stomach issues? Is he on meds? Is he feeing better? Pain, infection and medications can all impact big levels. I would watch a day or two, but if he is in the 300s consistently. you might have to give him a bit of insulin.

3. Djamila

Hi Sue! Sam just takes a probiotic every day since he has chronic diarrhea. It normally works great, but I missed a dose this past week, so his stomach has been a bit messed up. He's still not back to normal, although today he's showing some improvement - less diarrhea(only once today), but still drinking a lot, and lots of urine. I thought about giving him a little insulin when I saw the 302, but the insulin I have is super old, and that seemed like a bad idea. Do you agree? or is old insulin okay, just less effective?

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I don't think I'd use really old insulin. Any chance your vet might have a partial vial they could give you? If he is slipping out of remisssion, it might be good to catch it early....

5. Djamila

I'll see where Sam is in the morning, and if he's high again, I can check with the vet. I agree - I'd rather do something sooner rather than wait and make it worse. Thanks so much for your help!

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Here's hoping that all is well with Sam! It's possible he will just need a little push to get him over the hump...but the earlier you catch it, the better.

Djamila likes this.
  7. Djamila

Well, he was at 253 this morning. And we got a little snow storm last night. That never happens here! (I live in Seattle) It's so pretty! Anyway, hopefully the vet will open today. Thanks Sue and Rachel for your encouragement!

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Djamila ,I was so happy to see your name on the boards this morning but just read this thread to catch up and I am sorry that Sam isn't feeling well. Stomach issues is what took Bubba out of remission this time around. Have you tried Slippery Elm Bark? I t is wonderful to help with the diarrhea and calm the stomach.

I hope that he will start to fee better soon and that his numbers will go back to normal. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Djamila

Hi Bobbie! Before I posted last night I spied on your newest thread. It looks like Lantus has been good for Bubba! Glad to see he's flirting with another remission. Does that mean he gets to hunt mice again?

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  10. Djamila

So I just got off the phone with the vet, and he said to wait until the diarrhea is completely gone and see what Sam's numbers do at that point, before starting him back on Prozinc. What do you all think? I like my vet, but he's not an expert in FD. When Sam was first diagnosed he told me to shoot 1.0 and not worry about testing. So I trust the experts here more than I trust him about these things. I know if I call back and push a little that he'll give me the Prozinc. I'm just not sure what to do at this point. Wait another day and keep testing? Try a shot of year-old Prozinc? Call the vet back and insist? Consult my crystal ball/tea leaves/magic-8 ball? ;-)

Sam does seem much more comfortable this morning. No crying from tummy upset, no diarrhea (yet), no restlessness. So I'm hoping at least the intestines are finally settling back down.

Maybe wait and test again later this afternoon (but before the vet closes) and see if there is a downward trend - then if it's still high I can get him some insulin for this evening? Does that seem reasonable?

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That sounds like a plan. I would want to see him dropping below 200. It's quite possible that he was feeling crummy with the diarrhea but 300 suggests a little more than discomfort to me. No chance an infection is brewing?

12. Djamila

No sign of an infection that I can tell. He gets these bouts of diarrhea every few months, but his BG doesn't usually go up with it. I always test him when he's sick just to make sure. And he just had his teeth cleaned a couple of months ago and everything looked good. My mama-sense is telling me the diabetes is back. I think that's why I'm having trouble waiting for the diarrhea to clear. I'm really really hoping I'm wrong though. Even if it is back, I would need to wait until this evening to give him a shot anyway, so I'm trying to be patient. It doesn't help that I'm stuck at home because of the snow. Nothing to do but bake cookies and worry about him. His old PMPS time was 4:00 (5.5 hours from now), so I think I'll test him again then and either call the vet, or throw a false-alarm party.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  13. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I say eat a few of those cookies to calm yourself! ;) Good luck! It must be very disappointing to think you might be treating FD again.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  14. Bobbie And Bubba

Bubba wants to go outside again so bady and I am hoping to drop him to a drop of insuin tomorrow for about a wee before going on the OT trail again, k eeping fingers and paws crossed for you and Sam:bighug:

15. Djamila

Ugh. 261. And his tummy has been fine all day. :(

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Did you get new insulin?

17. Djamila

Alas, yes. I'll give him a shot in the morning. We're going to have to go conservative for now since I won't be able to monitor him as closely as I could when we did this dance last time.

18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It's tough, I know, but you've done this so well before...you'll do it well again. I think it's important to listen to your gut...you know your guy better than anyone else! With luck this won't be too long of a sugar dance for you and you'll get him back to OTJ.

Djamila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.