Jane's 216 at PMPS - Lantus folk, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Jane (GA), May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

she had a 24 at +5 on .5u lantus today, and dh gave her high carb wet food and some karo to keep her from getting any lower.

i know there's a school of thought that says to stay at the same dose for a week, but my gut says back off to .3 or so.

your experience/suggestions/comments welcome!!

2. troublelaurak

troublelaurak Member

I haven't used Lantus in ages, so I can't really answer your question. But I looked at Jane's numbers and it appears that they are maybe due to Mr. Liver kicking back after too much of a drop. Hmmmm. I hope someone answers you that knows more than I do! Laura

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Kris, have never used Lantus but what if you just whiff it under her nose or dab a bit behind the ears? :roll: Maybe put a spot on her skin then push the needle in? :eek: Honest to God, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

4. sommerbethel

sommerbethel Member

sorry nobody ever answered your question.

I am a lantus user and although my cat has never been on that low a dose I would go with your gut on this one. if it were me and someone was going to be home to test I would shoot the dose you are comfortable with, Jane did earn a dose reduction with that 24...if nobody is going to be home I may not shoot at all or shoot a very very reduced dose. All the advice I give is what I would do based on my gut so I suggest you follow yours as well:)

Hope I was able to help a little...

5. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Sommer, thanks -- sometimes, all we need is someone to say, you know your cat -- follow your gut.

6. Dale

Dale Member

Kris, I recently adopted a kitty on Lantus with swings like you are getting from Jane. Even .1 would drop her like a rock at +2. Weird, huh. I had to switch to BCP PZI to stop the constant ups and downs which is very interesting in the sense that the PZI's usually are known for producing curves. She is more stable with her readings and I can give her .5 without her dropping like a rock, liver kicking in, and causing a rebound. I know Lantus is good (I do have several others on it right now) but ECID. I don't think my cats body did well on the lantus and yet the she'd been on it for several months at the vets (of course they fed W/d dry food so that's probably what saved her life). FWIW.

7. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Hmmmm........... interesting. I had her nicelt regulated on Lantus after she was dx, but that was five years ago, and who knows -- will keep this in mind. Thanks!

8. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Just a thought. My Maggie experienced wild fluctuations while on Lev (it's action is similar to Lantus). We finally attributed the variations on other health issues. Could stress or infection or something else healthwise be causing the fluctuations? I know Jane has all sorts of health issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.