Jasper just had his first hairball in I don't even know how long, his hair has grown extra long ...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jasper Blue and Jay, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

I don't know what to make of this and when I search for this I can't find anything that relates but...

Jasper's a long hair Persian but his hair has grown even longer during all of this... for a while now...maybe a year or so? And yet he hasn't thrown up any hairballs in I don't even know how long... I just assumed that the dry mouth from the diabetes was making it impossible for him to properly clean his hair and that's why he wasn't having hairballs?

He had a tiny little hairball not long after he was at the vet and got fluids so I started to think that theory was right...then I stupidly listened to the vet and started feeding him only twice a day, but last two days he got as much food as he wanted all day long and now this morning he just threw up a proper hairball lol I feel like throwing up is supposed to be a bad thing but I can't help thinking no... hairballs in cats are normal... and the fact that he's starting to do anything that is normal that he hasn't been doing has to be a good thing... right? lol

Anyway... has anyone else seen this in diabetic cats? Their hair growing extra long? Is it a sign of some other problem I should be looking into?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

This is the time of year with rapidly increasing time of sunlight that trigers shedding and thus hairballs are more expected.
    Also,

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Diabetes does change the hair growth patterns (actually any endocrinology problem does) in my case Babu (he's a Himalayan so close to a Persian) actually had less hair than usual and did not changed coats from one season to another while he was unregulated which meant less hairballs ( wouldn't say none in his case ), once he was in remission his hair became very abundant again and of course we change coats twice a year, so the furball problem returned, but each cat is different, in any case usually change of season does mean change of coat and that equals more fur balls, which with long hair cats is almost normal even though not desirable, just be careful with the hairball products a lot of them are high carbs and some even have syrup in their ingredients

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.