Jaxa OTJ (officially as of 7/12/18)

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Glassgoblin, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

We just had our first fourteen (and a half) days in a row with no shot, so today was the first time she has not been tested in the AM in months. A little scary for my control freak heart, not knowing what she is at, but I left the food down so I couldn't test this morning.

So now we are coming up with a testing schedule to spot check, have plans to stay on top of diet, weight loss, and dental.

I just worry that I'll test next week and she will be over 200 again.

Lucy Mencia and Jill & Jade like this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I know that feeling, but hold onto the thought that the remission is going to hold. I still get a few butterflies when we test Idjit, a held breath until I see the reading. Congratulations!

3. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

I try to hope for the best, but I always have to prepare for the worst, just in case. She got a day off and then today I'm starting us on a test every three days schedule for the first two or three weeks, see how she holds steady.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  4. Idjit's mom

That sounds good. Hey, I know I'm getting older, and sometimes a little forgetful, but did we have an OTJ party for Jaxa? I don't remember getting Idjit all spruced up for a night out on the 12th. He does like to dazzle the ladies.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

6. Idjit's mom

Super Congratulations, this is great news. Every OTJ is a victory, and this board is responsible for so many.

7. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

Jaxa has been doing fairly well; though she had some diarrhea yesterday. I might have to take her in to see if she is worm-free as side has been outside a lot lately and we had some water outside in a small pool that probably wasn't so great for her to drink (birds fly over, insects may have eggs, etc.) She is eating well and acting like herself. Tempting to take her in just to get a general checkup and maybe a blood panel done too- I worry she will have a flare of pancreatitis again.

8. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

Is there an OTJ Protocol? Like how often is recommended to test, how many times in that day, etc? I stated every thrree days testing as I did before- AM and PM, but I see that others only test once randomly on the day they pick. Now I want to go to every four days, but should I still test AM and PM or can I just give her a one test during that day and say it is good. I kinda like the two test since it gives a bigger picture, but if I don't have to poke as often she would be happy.

Magic Johnson likes this.
  9. Emmy

Emmy Member

Jaxa beautiful. Writing to share experience w Mabels one yr remission. Food carbs and quality so important. Have you ever had trouble with YA food? If interested you could see my long posts in this section. I don't know how often you should test because I read the protocol for Levemir. I tested regularly at first decreased gradually than infrequently. When she relapsed after illness then higher carb food it was evident! So I think if you keep an eye out you'll see it. I wish you well.

10. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

My boy just recently hit remission and I have been told by multiple people to start off testing every few days for a month, then to once a week for a month, and then just monthly a test here or there. I was told it didn't have to be AMPS or PMPS and that it could be randomly. Also I was told if I did do AMPS or PMPS I no longer needed to withhold the food 2 hours prior to testing like we do when they are getting insulin shots.

11. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

We had a little trouble with YA at the very beginning, and I think she has been eating too much of the dry lately. We went to the Vet, all her blood work was normal and they even marked her as being in remission on her records. We got a topical dewormer, but that apparently wasn't the problem. She doesn't show any other signs of IBD (thankfully but I am watching in case). So right now I have a new plan; the YA website says a 15lb cat can have a rounded 1/3 c of food daily. She is 17.5 as of two weeks ago according to the Vet's scale. So I will give her that rounded 1/3c dry every day, and when I go to bed whatever is in the dish (food or empty) the dish will be put up and I will give half a can of wet food. I have several cans since she doesn't usually want to eat any (I gave her half a can of Blue Buffalo tonight and she sniffed it, gagged, and walked away). If in a week or so I see improvement I will at least have the idea it may be that she was eating too much of the YA. Alternatively, I may switch to the LID YA ZM and see if that helps. The Vet, of course, wants me to buy the prescription diet food that his practice sells and it is not even close to lower carb.

Fortunately she seems to feel pretty good in every other way and is playful, affectionate and active. (And beating up the dog more often).

12. Idjit's mom

Poor dog! I'm glad Jaxa is doing well. It's such a relief to be OTJ, altho ugh the the thought of falling out of remission is my monster under the bed. I watch Idjit like a hawk still, but he's eating and excreting, going outside to collect small sticks, weeds, dry leaves and seeds to deposit on the floor in the house, and being his before Dx usual weird self. I finally reorganized my diabetes supply shelf, we used the supplies for such a short time, but I am unsure whether to let go just yet. In my life experience, as soon as I pass something on, I need it. My husband is pre-diabetic and has to test 1 X a day now, so the meter, strips and lancets are in use. The syringes can wait a little bit. I wish that the vet had suggested the pens, or that we had had time to do some research before we bought the vial of Lantus. Oh well, live and learn. Hugs to Jaxa, tell her to let up on the drooler.

13. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

Don't feel too sorry for the dog; she is a 1 yr old merle chihuahua that is as big as the cat, but heavier, and she is always jumping on the cat's back as Jaxa walks, running at her and nipping when they are outside, and then acting afraid to pass Jaxa in the hallway inside. She is like the little sibling the cat never wanted. They are getting to be friends though- licking and sniffing muzzles, playing a bit.

I have all of my supplies in drawers; Jaxa has her own nightstand for all of her toys, beds, etc that are put away so I keep her testing supplies there and syringes in the bathroom. I have an unopened bottle of prozinc, which I wouldn't mind selling sometimes soon; I can use the $ to pay toward what I spent on it for my CareCredit card. I will probably hold onto other stuff longer. It is hard to let it go when I keep thinking that one day I might need it and then would have to 1) buy it again and 2) wait for it to ship to me.

Idjit's mom likes this.
  14. Idjit's mom

I will not feel so sorry for the dog, and that sounds hilarious (until it gets annoying). Even fur kids can tire of siblings. I can sympathize with the thoughts of selling the Prozinc, I would be torn between yea or nay also.

15. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

Jaxa is still doing well, we've been getting good numbers on our tests and she has been back to her very clingy/cuddly self. If I sit down she has to be in my lap, and I almost forgot how nice it was to be able to pet her without worry that it would be the last time (not that we are ever safe from that happening anyway). Now I just have to convince her that the space between me and the keyboard is not a good bed.

Sharon14 likes this.
  16. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Test with what you feel comfortable! At first you’ll test every 3 days and then 5, then 1 per week, then every couple weeks then perhaps once per month ( I’m at this point). CONGRATULATIONS OTJ! JAXA!

Just imho I feel that for us once per month is a good grounding test after slowly winding down to that.

Big congratulations to JAXA!!! And you too!!!!!

17. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

We've actually been a bit low on all our latest tests; her litterbox issues seem better and then we have a day where she seems a bit off (she ate a bunch of grass and vomited her treats this evening- wanted to eat her food again an hour later when she came inside though). I have printed the liver shake and bone broth recipes and plan to stop my the local butcher shop- I asked when I was there and they have both liver and sell bones for stock.

We just have ups and downs I guess. Last night she licked the bowl clean from her wet food, tonight I am trying a bit of a new flavor/brand (Blue Buffalo duck) and she hasn't wanted to taste it yet. Will wait a bit more to see if she avoids it completely- in which case I might put it away and give her something else so the B12/SEB can be eaten. The dog will always eat what Jaxa will not.

18. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

WOW JAXA really is low on SS!

It seems these kitty’s have a kind of metabolic or something disorder... Wj
    is JAXA doing a bit better?

Glassgoblin likes this.
  19. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

It is hard for me to tell sometimes. When she eats less I'm not sure if it is because she isn't hungry, doesn't like that kind of food, feels sick, etc. Right now I am wondering if she is learning about her food schedule and adjusting- for the last week or two I've been giving her an exact amount of the YA and at first I gave her the whole amount but she would eat it all immediately, so I started giving her half and then half an hour later, and then slowly started doling it out every 10-15 minutes over an hour and a half, leaving the dish and whatever was left when I went to work. Yesterday and the day before she left just a little in the dish instead of eating it all, and then ate the rest in the evening. Today she ate about half and is now eating the rest after ignoring the dish all day; she has been eating wet food at night, but it goes between eating half (about 1/4 of a can) of what I give (1/2 can) to eating all and wanting more by 3am. She isn't acting sick or nauseous, is eating and drinking, playing and even running (which is why I think she did get sick yesterday- the dog was jumping on her outside and then she ran across the yard after being startled by a car). No bm problems lately though, the fortiflora seems to be helping. She refused the duck though, so I switched to FF Beef and Chicken so she got her b12 still.

I am weird about her weight and eating; partly because of the pancreatitis and the fear of that flaring up, and partly because of how I lost my last kitty and how skinny he got at the end (liver disease we think). In some ways I suppose her low bg in the AM makes sense since she eats the higher carb dry food (not that it is high carb) after I test her and has low carb wet all night to graze on and still doesn't eat much. Most of her treats are afternoon/evening so well out of her system. It is just easier to test in the AM most days, and when I test PM it is right after I get home and she doesn't eat when I'm gone (her quirk since she has access to the food all day).

20. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Wow I can’t believe how low her numbers are....

She is doing well that way :)

Yea the low carb through the night seems to help the morning numbers!!!!