Jeddie was 350 at pmPS!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

He is just going higher and higher. I am really tempted to stop insulin and see what happens after about 2 days.

Everything else with him is going fine. He is eating well, happy, etc. I have noticed that he tends to be higher when he hasn't eaten within the past hour or two so it looks like food brings him down? It's very subtle so I am not positive I am seeing that. I'm just seeing numbers that are creeping up and up with higher doses.

2. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Well, you already know what I am going to say. Raise the dose. I am sorry and I feel so frustrated for you. I know when you test and see that high number on the meter your heart just sinks. :(

Just as a side note, and as a general rule, what you see on your SS a month ago doesn't always mean the same as now...things and circumstances change.

My belief is that Each Cat (truly) Is Different.....their situations, their owner's schedules, what food they eat and when and how much, their health issues, their age, how long they have been diabetic....the list can go on and on. And the numbers will change and fluctuate because of this.

So I guess this is a bit of a rant. But I wanted to point out to you that just maybe, maybe, Jeddie needs a little more insulin right at this time to get him through this period of high numbers (a vet visit too?). Break through that glucose toxicity that he has been building up lately.

3. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

Looking at his spreadsheet, i have to say, I agree with Pamela that he may need a bit more of the juice. The numbers don't look like they're rebound numbers indicating that he needs less insulin.

I totally understand your fear of increasing the dose when you're not going to be home in the day for spot checks. Can you increase the amount by a hair and conduct a curve this week end? (please don't ask me what amount a hair is - i rely on you for all the microdosing advice : )

Late for work, will look for an update when i get home (a 14 hr day with Spring Concert from 7 pm to 9 pm, grrr!!)

4. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

He seemed sad this morning - and appetite is up. I tested ketones after that 350 last night - negative.

I sat with him for 5 mins and we did belly rubs. He was happy with the attention, but I don't think he is feeling that great after yesterday. I feel like I am failing him because he just keeps going higher and higher. I got a +3 last night and it was only down to 270... sigh.

5. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Most likely THIS:

amPs was +11, pmPS was +12.5
    amPS was +13.5, pmPS was +15
    amPS was +11.25, pmPS was +9.75
    pmPS +14.5, new cart pmPS +11
    amPS +11

is why he's high, not the dose.

Get your shot times evened out before raising dose.

Just my 2 cents. Gandalf would be 300s or 400s if I shot his usual dose at those times. 6 days of wacky scheduled doses does not good BGs make.

Try to say that in Yoda's voice and it'll feel better.

6. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

I'm trying to be as close to 12/12 as possible, but last week, starting with the time change (was that last week or the week before?) was nuts. I couldn't do any better than that.

But tonight he was 234! Yay! Of course now I will have to test and make sure he isn't going too low....

7. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

So you did your best. A few 300s are not going to make him *more* diabetic. He's diabetic, you're very capable of treating him effectively, it just takes time. Consider throwing out a few things you learned with Beau because of ECID if Jeddie proves them wrong or ineffective. Not sure which things, but Jeddie's response to situations like shot time changes is going to be unique to him, for example.

See, he was 200s for preshot! He might go up afterwards, something tells me his body is still getting used to how to use the Lev. It took Gandalf about 3 months.

8. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Vicky, you called that one right - he did go up from the 234, at least at +3. And last night he did not drop at +4 either. This am he was 312. I have been giving .25u since the cart change.

Tonight is going to be a late evening again, maybe +13 or 13.5. Sigh.... then of course tomorrow am will be early, but then I should be able to stick with 12/12 for a while. I think I will do some late spot checks Sat afternoon and then see about raising the dose Sunday.

9. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Yes, good call Vicky! :)

Hope he settles down for you once you get back on schedule Sheila.

10. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

No kind of call, just what Gandalf does, in particular when schedule is messy or he's been riding in 300s.

11. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

181 this am! (+11.5). I shot the "whole" .25u - or I think I did, hard to tell with poorly marked syringes. I have to say that it is really tough to do that when I was shooting the same on 350, 312, etc. AND if I did that with Beau, he would drop too low AND I have to be gone all day at work.

12. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Well, last night he was 353! Oy! But this am he was 256.

So now he has started to do a roller coaster of higher PM/lower AM. I don't get why. The only real difference is that I am not there during the day. Could he still be getting stressed by my not being there? I know he was the first few days after I brought him home and went back to work.

13. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Interesting. So you think he has separation anxiety? Not sure how that could stress him out. Have any of the other cats, in particular Beau, made any aggressive moves toward him? That might explain anxiety - you're not there to keep the peace so to speak or just that he might be harassed causing him upset. Have you come home to things knocked over, broken (I know you had a mug broken, but you saw who did that) to indicate maybe things aren't hunky-dory while you're gone?

Is he getting in to anyone's food or is it all picked up by the time you leave?

I still think the off schedule doses are causing this - so you'll see one good cycle in with 3 or 4 not good ones.

14. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

15. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

16. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Vicky - looks like you were successful - three times!

OK - no, I do not think that Jeddie gets hassled, overly, by any of the other cats. He and Charlotte don't get along, but that is usually only evident when I am getting food ready and he walks past her, or when I first get home/wake up and everyone is all excited and milling about. Of course, I can't know for sure what happens when I am not here, but no evidence of a fight or anything when I get home. He does, sometimes, cry for me when I am on the computer - as do a few of the others - and I call his name and he stops. Maybe he does that when I am not here and I don't answer, so he feels "abandoned". I don't know.

BUT, he was nice and high this am (363), so maybe my observation on the numbers is way off!

BTW, they are free fed. I put the days food down and they eat as they want until it is gone or I get home and feed dinner. Now I do feed twice at night - so they get 1/2 their food in the am, 1/4 when I get home, and 1/4 when I go to bed. There's really no other way to do it during the day when I go to work.

17. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

I've been reading along and i'm sorry i don't have a lot to offer, just wanted to let you know i'm sending you guys lower number vibes. I'll continue to follow the updates, hang in there my friend.

18. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Well, I know I said patience and you've had some wonky scheduling going on, but if you're available this weekend to do some spot checks, definitely get those and determine a dose increase by Sunday PM. Other than +13 at PMPS on Wednesday, his shot schedule is better so it's time to get some midcycle numbers and determine an increase. Going by Tilly that may even need to be to .5U to level & lower his numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.