Jester likes chicken and Sage doesn't!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Not only that, but I can boil it in the microwave.

Jester's back to eating normally again after a couple of frustrating days. But as a precaution today I only gave him 1U for both doses.

Numbers looked good, but he was still hungry and hadn't eaten as much as I would have liked. I definitely didn't want to give him more carby cat food and he didn't want almost any of the canned pate.
    So I pulled the second chicken breast from the freezer and cooked that in the microwave.

Not only does he love it, but Sage has no interest in the chicken at all. As long as she doesn't change her mind, I can actually walk away and let Jester eat as much of the stuff as he wants.

And as a bonus, Bastian seems to love drinking the water that the chicken was cooked in. He's a little heavier than I'd like right now and this is a way to give him something when Jester is eating his extra calories without worrying about extra calories for Bastian too.

Sage, who gained a *lot* of weight when I wasn't paying enough attention, is pouting because she doesn't like either the chicken or the chicken water.

One question for anyone who'd care to answer:

Is there a real difference in the taste of chicken legs and chicken breasts? I've been told the legs are fattier and might give Jester more fatty calories to help with getting his weight back up. But I want to have a good idea that Jester will still eat it before I go crazy and buy a big tray of the stuff.
    And, frankly, I'd rather buy free range just to be safe - if I can afford it.

Magic Johnson likes this.
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

A lot of stores will sell you one leg. You just have to ask at the butcher counter in the store. Then you can see if he likes it.
    Sam would tell you there is a difference in taste. I make his raw food using the foodfurlife.com supplement powder and he will eat raw chicken breast, but not thighs. I haven't tried legs, but I'm guessing they would be the same as thighs in terms of taste. Just recently I've been able to get him to eat breast and thigh meat mixed together as long as it's more than half breast meat. Picky picky picky. :rolleyes:

If you're going to make that his meal more than once or twice/week, it will be important to add some supplements to it so he's getting all of the nutrients he needs. Plain meat lacks taurine and a couple of other things that cats need to be healthy. If they are eating whole prey they get those nutrients through the organs/stomach/intestines of their prey, but they are lacking in just a regular piece of meat.

Making food at home can be cheaper or comparable to buying commercial food, so it's certainly do-able if you think that might work better for him.

3. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

The chicken is supplemental. Jester eats nearly 2 cans of Friskies a day.

I'm trying to help him regain the weight he lost. But when I give him just the gravy laden shreds he likes, his BG shoots up. Right now his numbers are getting much better.

This is a way to get more calories in him without the extra carbs. I'm absolutely not feeding him only chicken. No worries.

Magic Johnson and Djamila like this.
  4. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

Tiki Cat chicken might be an option if you want to try a commercial food for the sake of convenience. It's a top quality food that's worked for many of my cats. It is expensive. I admire people who take the time to cook for their pets. I'm a bit too lazy for that.

5. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

Well, If given the opportunity (I'm cooking and leave the kitchen for a brief period of time) Gracie will eat a leg over a breast.

Djamila and shelaghc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.