Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Feb 27, 2018.
What do I do now?
Any chance of stalling without food and rechecking in 15 to 20 min?
Yes, try a stall without food as Rachel suggested.
Crap - I forgot about stalling
It's too late now. He's eating.
One thing I did when Teasel was on ProZinc was let him eat, waited about 45 minutes, retested and gave a slightly reduced dose. You could try that and maybe give 1.5 u or 1.75 u. Your call.
I like this one. Going for it.
Of course, this is the week I had planned to slowly move his insulin earlier because of the job next week .
Best laid plans and all that.
Those kitties don’t like us having plans! I think your/Kris’s plan is a good one.
@Kris & Teasel - what kind of number am I looking for?
He didn't eat much - a little less than 1/6 of the can.
For what it's worth, I would have told you to go ahead and shoot on the 161, so I think anything higher than that will be fine. He hasn't shown any signs of needing a reduction, so the 161 was most likely just one of those things.
So long as he's risen above 161.
His AMPS was about 1/2 hour ago. Considering how little he ate - plus it was low carb - would retesting be okay now?
Otherwise it's about 25 minutes till that 45 minute wait.
@Djamila @Kris & Teasel @Rachel
It wasn't a fluke.
45 minutes later BG is 137.
Should I dose or not?
Try 0.5 u so he gets a bit of insulin into him.
I wasn't comfortable waiting longer so I just gave him 1U and I'll recheck at +2.
Crap. Did I give him too much?
I have an appointment at 1:15 and will need to leave by 1:00.
What time is it for you now?
Okay so you have a few hours. You should know by 1 if this cycle will be active or not. I wouldn’t panic. Let’s see what happens first.
He's still eating. Should I do a +2 or wait for a +3? He's a *very* pokey eater. Even when I give him the stuff he really likes, it can take forty-five minutes for him to eat half a can.
Lol....see, I almost wrote "now if he's lower on the next test...." but then decided not to complicate things.
I think you did just fine. It's great to see him hold onto a lower number past the +12 mark! As far as +2 or +3, I'd say go with your gut. If he's asleep, I'd probably wait. If he's restless or looking for food, I'd go for the earlier test.
Sorry you've had such a stressful morning! You're doing great!
He's just started to eat his more carby food. I'll see when he stops and go for a BG about an hour after he stops.
UPDATE: Took him till now (11:10am) to eat about 2/3 of a can total between the pate, and two different cans of Friskies shreds. (One of them had been in the refrigerator overnight and, as such, wasn't completely acceptable to his majesty.)
He started eating around 10:15ish......
Not sure if anyone's around to answer this, but here goes.
We're coming up on +2 (at 11:55AM eastern time), but Jester ate until just forty-five minutes before the +2 (he stopped eating at 11:10ish).
One person's rule of thumb is to wait about an hour after eating to take a BG, but that would be at 12:10 and wouldn't give me time to take a +3 if needed since I have to leave no later than 1:00PM.
And I won't be home for at least three hours as I have errands to run.
@Kris & Teasel @Rachel @Djamila
+2 was 92.
He's eating carby foods right now and I'll plan for a +3 as well.
Good plan. Don’t panic - you know what to do.
Only concern will be if he goes down and I have to leave.
If I leave food out for him while I'm gone, most likely Jester won't get to eat it. Sage will push him away.
Jester just decided to take a nap in his favorite, hard-to-reach kitty bed. It's next to impossible to take a reading on him there.
I was going to take a +3 in 20 minutes - right before leaving. Now he's all settled in and comfy - doesn't usually come out for at least a couple of hours from there.
On the plus side, he ate about 2/3 of a can of carby food in one sitting. All told, he's had about 1 1/4 cans of food today.
Should I just leave him alone and trust he'll be okay? I can possibly rush through my errands and get home in time for a +6.
Any chance he’d come for a treat?
Nope. Jester's not much for treats.
I decided to go on faith, so to speak. I'll do my errands as quickly as possible and check him when I get home.
with some carby food on board he should be fine.
+6 is 129 - fasting.
And he's eating single digit carb food right now.
Yeah! I'm thinking he might have gone a tad low while I was out today. But he seems okay right now. He only ate a small amount of the pate. I'm sure he'll come back for carbs before long. *g*
First - thanks to everyone who's been weighing in all day for Jester's sudden low numbers. It's made the whole thing far less stressful than it might have been.
Questions and thoughts:
How early can I give Jester his insulin tonight? His AM shot didn't happen until almost 10:00AM and I *really* need to move that time earlier. I have less than a week until the job starts and I'll need to be out of the door no later than 8:00AM (preferably a tad earlier for my first few days until I get a handle on the traffic patterns).
Presuming all goes well and he's still in the mid 100s, should I go with 1U again? Or consider reducing?
Generally, unless there's a really good reason, I do try to keep the AM and PM dosages the same.
If he's in the upper 100s to mid 200s, I'm assuming 1U is fine.
In fact, unless he's really low - like the low 100s - should I just go with 1U?
And anything lower, no shot at all?
First, you can move the shot earlier by an hour tonight without too much of an issue. As far as what dose tonight, let’s see what the PS is so a decision can be made on the basis of today’s numbers but also on whether he’s soaring into a bounce by PS.
Trying to decide if I should laugh or be relieved that I didn't listen right away to the vet. Yesterday he said he wanted me to back away a bit on the testing and mostly stick to mid-cycles.
If I'd done that and given Jester as much as 1.75U this morning, he would have been in a mess of trouble today.
Anyone around? I'll be checking Jester shortly.
I am for a min...
PMPS back up again - 314.
Do I keep him at 1U for consistency or back up to 2U?
Go back to 2u. If he gets another cycle like today we might consider a small reduction, but not yet.
Probably a bounce. I think I'd give 2.
Looks like a consensus.
Also he's hungry enough that he's eating pate without too much argument.
That's great that he's eating!!! Also, apologies for the succinct response. In reading it again just now I realized it could sound rather terse. Not my intention - just trying to get a response off to you quickly! I hope it didn't feel too abrupt
No - it was exactly what I needed.
And he eats a fair amount of food during the day . Just not all at once and rarely what's best for him.
And to prove that, he stopped eating the pate shortly after I reported that he was.
Lol...he could tell you were talking about him!
Frankly he's already eaten today what he usually eats by the end of a day.
I probably overdid it because I was concerned he might go low....
Unfortunately I'm guilty of this type of response more often than I should be.
I honestly appreciated the quick concise replies.
Two followup questions:
I'm assuming I should do a pre-bed test. Knowing that, would a +3 be fine?
And, as I pointed out, Jester's already eaten as much as he normally would eat in a day. How much more would be okay for him to eat?
Because he's so skinny, I do encourage him to eat as much as possible to get his weight up. So far he's eaten about 2 1/3 cans of 5.5 ounce cat food cans.
I'm going to wait for him to come to me no matter what. But he's only eaten about 1/4 can of pate since his insulin dose.
I think a +3 is fine. We always say that if your kitty needs to gain weight let him eat as much as he wants but split it into several small meals.
Considering how much he eats every day, he's not gaining much weight....
Between early December and yesterday, his weight only went up by .4 pounds. But he usually eats well over two 5.5 ounce cans of food in a day.
+3 was a non-fasting 289.
Although it's been over an hour since he ate and it was less than half a can of food - both shreds and pate - total.
And now that I've woken him up, he wants to munch again.....
I tend to be kind of terse too. Every now and then I suddenly have a lot to say but usually I keep it short. I like to think that Djamila balances me out some! lol you king forward to Jesters number today!
AMPS was 246 and Jester's been eating the lowest carb pate I have without too much fussing.
That's a nice AMPS! And nice to hear that he's cooperating with the food this morning too. Maybe he'll give you another green....?
I liked it too. Still gave him 2U.
I'll probably just do a +5 this time.
Separate names with a comma.