? Jester's BG still in the 200s - seeking dosing advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Having a full time job makes changing Jester's dosage way more of a challenge.

That noted, do any of you make changes to your kitties' dosages in the evening so you can keep an eye on their BG? Or do you tend to wait until the weekend?

My biggest concern is the upcoming trip at the end of the month. I'm running low on time to try to get Jester into a more stable BG.

We've gone from those lovely blues and occasion greens - which were, sadly, the result of him barely eating at all - to mostly yellows and pinks.
    I increased his dosage from .5u to .75u but couldn't do it until Saturday evening because I was gone most of the day and couldn't monitor. The post-injection pinks on May 5th PM / May 6th AM were the result of the cat sitter giving Jester a fur shot on the evening of the 5th.

I'm also encouraging Jester to eat more because of how low his weight is and, because he won't eat the lower carb foods, it's mostly mid-range carbs (between 13 and 17).
    (For the uninitiated, no I can't use automatic feeders - three cats with non-compatible eating habits and one who is a magpie and steals everyone's food literally out from under their noses.)

So, that long narrative - I'd appreciate input about the pros and cons of changing a dosage in the evening during the week as opposed to waiting for the weekend.

2. shelaghc

Anyone?
    Bueller?

I need to give Jester his PM dosage in just over an hour and would love to get input on whether it would be a good or bad thing to bump it up on a weekday.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think you can do that on a weekday PM dose and get an evening test.

Djamila and shelaghc like this.
  4. shelaghc

Thanks!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. shelaghc

1U nervously given at 6:30PM eastern time.
    Trying to balance letting Jester eat enough to help him gain some weight back with making sure I get a good solid fasting +3 or +4.
    He's out in the dining room right now wanting more food - hopefully that means his BG has gone down more than it has been.

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Why are you trying to make him fast so long?

7. shelaghc

Because when I'm gone during the day he has to fast for nine hours.
    The only way I can get any kind of idea of what he goes through during the day is by simulating some of it at night.

EDIT -
    @Djamila
    BTW - he's already eaten more than one can of Friskies this evening. I just like to make sure he eats well over what any cat his current size would need since the vet keeps saying Jester "may never gain that weight back" and never has any rationale for me for that pronouncement.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  8. shelaghc

Jester's +5 was 135 - lowest it's been since he was sick and not eating.

I'll be a little nervous tomorrow while I'm at work, but I think overall this is good.

9. Djamila

At 135 there is still a long ways to go before you would have anything to worry about.

10. shelaghc

I always worry.
    Doesn't matter what his BG is.

I'm scared out of my mind that I'm going to lose him because we don't know why he's losing weight and all the vet will say is "he may never gain that weight back."

11. shelaghc

His AMPS was 189.

I chickened out since I couldn't be home to monitor and lowered his dosage back to .75u.

Then he ate more than one can of cat food - about a quarter can more, in fact.
    He seems *really* hungry sometimes lately. Is this normal?

The vet truly believes Jester doesn't have a thyroid problem. I just don't know....

12. Djamila

Did he test for that?

13. shelaghc

Yes - came up negative and the vet says he doesn't feel Jester's thyroid.

Djamila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.