Jimmy 507amps 7/7/10

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by angela&jimmycat, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angela&jimmycat

angela&jimmycat Member

Hello everyone, sorry there's been no postes in several days. The holiday doubles my work ad i've not had any computer time. Jimmy's SS is up to date though. The last couple days his preshoot #'s are climbing. I don't have many between readings to see if there has been much curve. This morning's 507 was a bad reminder of the past.....I don't know why it is so high. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Hi Angela! I would say that Jimmy is ready for a dose increase to 2.75u. I would hold it for at least 5 days, he really likes to jump all over the place, doesn't he? Mr. Tinkles has been like that lately too, I think sometimes they just like to confuse us. ;-)

3. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what they're doing... Confusing us humans. LOL I swear that all of our cats are mentally talking to each other from afar. LOL

I hope that you can get him regulated soon, and am crossing fingers (and Blackie's crossing her paws) for lower #'s for you both. :)

4. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I see occasional dips in the dose to 1.75u - what is your reasoning behind this? Sliding scale of sorts? I think you have a decent amount of data with 2.5u and yellow numbers that you can shoot the full amount at those numbers. I also agree, that an increase to 2.75u is due.

Sorry I can't help you with a reasoning for the high number this morning. Maybe Jimmy had a bad dream this morning just before he got up for the morning shot/meal?

5. angela&jimmycat

angela&jimmycat Member

How long does Prozinc last after the first use?

6. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

You mean the vial or the shot? Most can use the vial until it is empty - several months, but always change vials if you start getting odd numbers. The shot will last 10-14 hours in the kitty's body.

7. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

That's good to know. Thank you. :) Although, my vet said that it's good until the expiration date on the vial. However, I don't think that holds water, though. As it's being used on a daily basis, I try not to handle it too much.

8. angela&jimmycat

angela&jimmycat Member

Yes, I was asking about the vial life. Thank you. I am close to the end of this vial (from second week of May), so went ahead and ordered another. I'll get to use from it once before deciding which to take with us this weekend. We (husband John, Jimmy, & I) are going out of town this weekend for a family reunion. This will be Jimmy's longest road trip so far, 3 hours to Grandma's house. He went on 3 trips of about 1 hour and did just fine, Jimmy is so layed back, easy going, and sociable. He doesn't understand, " You need to use the restroom before we leave" though!! LOL! We had to change out wet towels from is carrier during the middle of one trip. :D Anyway, thanks for the postes, feedback is so important. I hope Jimmy levels out again quickly. We had just started to really get some good numbers and was so optimistic. It helps to read that everyone goes through this though. Thanks again.

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I've seen people around using them past the expiration date and they seem to do fine. With my last vial I found when I got to the real dregs it didn't work well at all - I had to practically double the dose over a few days and still didn't get consistent results. New vial and everything went back to normal. But that was really the bitter end of it, and it was clear from the #s that SOMETHING was different, no question.

Sometimes they will appear to improve on a dose, but then you lose that and the #s go higher and you have to raise the dose again. It seems to have to do with their body adjusting to the insulin - if it isn't enough insulin they might get better #s some of the time, but not consistently. It's kind of mysterious to me, and Jimmy's #s are varied enough to keep the picture confusing. Ultimately though I think you probably have to grit your teeth and go with dose increases every few days until you see consistent good #s. That's what I had to do with Bix and it was tortuous (the occasional good #s he got REALLY threw me off, I kept hoping hoping they would come back on their own, but they never did).

It does seem like they psychically talk to each other sometimes, doesn't it? It's weird how there seem to be waves when a bunch of cats are all doing well, or all throwing wacky #s. Makes ya' wonder, ya know?

10. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Angela,

The two things that can hurt your insulin quickly are freezing and light.

We keep it in a small box taped into the vege drawer with a mini thermometer next to it. Lately I have started wrapping elastic paper tape around the bottle to protect it, and of course I keep it in its little box and return it there ASAP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.