JoeJoe, 8.5 years old, newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by OrangeTrioMom, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrangeTrioMom

OrangeTrioMom Member

Hey all!
    I'm the mom to three fabulous orange boys, Bob, Joe, and Jackson. JoeJoe (as we call him) was just diagnosed last week with diabetes. He's 8.5 yo, has been overweight his entire life, but eating mostly Nature's Variety, Holistic Select, or some other type of "grain-free" dry food until about two months ago when I started them on Royal Canin Mature Consult. He began eating this food exclusively (I liked the SO index and joint support for older cats) but about two months in he started showing signs of diabetes, mostly increase in urination. Lo and behold, took him in to the vet hospital where I work and his glucose levels were very high. I'm still somewhat of a newb in the veterinary field so I'm still trying to learn where we need to be, where we currently are, etc. His vet put him on the Royal Canin Glycobalance and we got him the Lantus. He gets 3U BID with meals. I'm working on getting him to like wet food... have been trying different kinds I've seen talked about on these boards and in the meantime am taking him off the Glycobalance and getting him back on Nature's Variety dry for now. He's always been a good water drinker, so he's got that going for him. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and see if anyone else had similar situations after switching their cat to a food like Royal Canin. (I know that this condition didn't spring up overnight, but it was too much of a coincidence - having just changed his diet and then he started showing symptoms... ugh. And I had bought into the Rx diet business...)

This is Bob & JoeJoe. Joe is the one looking at the camera.
    BobJoe.jpg

And this is Jackson, the one-eyed wonder kitty! He's the youngest.
    Jackson.jpg 

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. You have three very handsome boys! I don't know the carb count of the RC Mature, but it's probably high as most dry is. Since Joe Joe likes his kibble, try crushing some of the Natures Variety and sprinkling it on top of the wet food. Maybe that will entice him.

3. OrangeTrioMom

OrangeTrioMom Member

Hey Sharon! Thanks so much for the suggestion! I have been starting to try to give him wet food with FortiFlora sprinkled on top. They all LOVE the FortiFlora but end up licking it off and not eating the food. I will try crushing the dry and sprinkling it on the wet next... Maybe just mixing it in and seeing what happens! I am also trying different kinds of wet food. He seemed to like the Wellness cubed varieties, but I'm going to have to check the boards again to see the carb contents on the other wet foods. Thanks again!

4. Sharon14

5. OrangeTrioMom

OrangeTrioMom Member

Yep! I love that website and I love everything the doctor says. I truly believe in it. It's hard working at a vet hospital and having the Rx diets pushed for many things and yes, they are good for many things... some clients swear it saved their cat's lives. But I'm not convinced anymore that they are some kind of magic bullet. Haven't gotten brave enough to try making my own food yet!!! (You also have a gorgeous ginger kitty!!!!)

6. Sharon14

Colin and I thank you for the compliment! Are you home testing JoeJoes glucose?

7. OrangeTrioMom

OrangeTrioMom Member

No... but I want to. He's going back to see his doctor in about a week for a glucose curve. I'd prefer to monitor at home as well so I can be more in control of what he eats, his insulin dose, etc. At this point nothing scares me more than hypoglycemia.

8. Sharon14

As you know, home testing can help prevent hypo. By knowing what JoeJoe's numbers are you can intervene before he goes too low. Also testing is really the only way to see how well the insulin is working and get the proper dose. 3 units is a large starting dose, as you get him off the high carb kibble and on to low carb food, his glucose may drop quite a bit and if you're not testing, he may go low.

9. OrangeTrioMom

OrangeTrioMom Member

Yes... this is what I was thinking. Since he was given the Glycobalance to start, I may keep him on that until I get into a home testing habit and then try to get him on the high protein low carb food. I hate that he has to eat that stuff for now, and he won't touch the diabetic Rx diet wet food. The other cats enjoy the Glycobalance as well, which is troublesome because I think it's basically crack. :D

10. Sharon14

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  11. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I can't say enough about the importance of testing. It saved my Callie's life! Several times my Callie's AMPS (morning pre shot test ) has been too low to give her usual dose of insulin. If I didn't test, she would have gone hypo. It has been said many times that it is better to have a high BG then too low. If the test is too low, it is safer to skip the shot. You can always ask here or call your vet if you're not sure about anything.

12. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You should learn to hometest as soon as possible. 3 units is a high starting dose unless there are other health issues going on. Most cats start at 1/2 to 1 unit twice daily. Also with you changing his diet, his glucose levels will drop even more. Hypoglycemia is definitely a risk. Plus with starting at that high of a dose, you could have missed his optimal dose to keep him regulated. We recommend starting with a low dose and gradually over several weeks, increasing it if needed but only by 1/2 unit at a time. This way you will find the best dose that works for him.

You have three very handsome boys. I love Jackson's expression. With the little kitty smile and the one eye, it looks like he is winking at you. Makes you wonder what is he thinking about. :cat:

OrangeTrioMom likes this.
  13. Danielle Furegno

Danielle Furegno New Member

I am in the same situation, orangetriomom. Today is Zep's first day on insulin and I do not have a home test because the vet said to take him back in a week so she can give him the test. Now that I'm reading these forums, I would like an at home test, but I have NO IDEA what I'm doing or what to buy, if I can buy it at the store, etc. Zep is eating Fancy Feast classic, is on pain meds and antibiotics and is just having a tough week in general. He's on the meds for his inflamed gums. I am being such a worry wort and of course to me he seems sleepy. But I would be too. I'm calling the vet first thing in morning to talk to her about the at home test. I don't wanna mess anything up and give him too much or too little. I'm so nervous and still trying to absorb all of this. I just feel so bad for my baby :(

14. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Danielle, for your info and OrangeTrioMom's. Most of us use human meters. Relion from Walmart is a good, inexpensive meter. My vet, when I asked about home testing, said "you can if you want." but I don't think that my Shiloh would have been in remission for almost a year without it.

15. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

OMG! IT WAS A YEAR YESTERDAY!!!

16. OrangeTrioMom

OrangeTrioMom Member

Thank you for the response, Lisa. I plan on buying a glucometer soon. The thing is... we switched him to Royal Canin Mature Consult not long before he was diagnosed. Previously he was on grain-free high protein dry food (mostly Nature's Variety, Holistic Select, or Wellness Core). I realize dry food is not ideal, but until I get a glucometer and can find a wet food he likes, we're sticking with what he is currently eating. I know diabetes doesn't come up overnight, but he was on the Royal Canin Mature Consult for about a month and a half before he was diagnosed. Previously he had been on high quality grain-free dry food. Anyone else ever experience that? (I fully realize I am trying to find a reason other than "he was overweight and ate dry food his entire life." I really hate feline diabetes.)

And thanks for your comments on Jackson... he's definitely a quirky boy with lots of pep!!! :D

17. OrangeTrioMom

OrangeTrioMom Member

Danielle, I am with you 100%. I totally feel the same way you do and fell apart on Facetime with my sister this afternoon because I can't believe I'm not responsible for this. As in, I am JoeJoe's caretaker - how could I let this happen to him?!?!? Anyway, JoeJoe goes in for a glucose curve 2 weeks after he was diagnosed, so that will be soon. But I DO want to measure his glucose at home and need to learn how much he needs depending on that. Also, even though I am a vet tech, I have managed to mis-shoot at least four times. Even this evening, I think I either poked through (SOMEHOW) or something, because the insulin (not sure how much) ended up on his fur. I hate that and I know I can't give more. It's just an adjustment period, isn't it???

18. OrangeTrioMom

OrangeTrioMom Member

I think your average pet owner won't test on their own because of commitment and fear. People who do monitor glucose at home are the smart ones. Good for you for taking the best care possible of your sweet kitty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.