JoeyDeeDee “New Member” 5/24/2020

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JoeyDeeDee, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeyDeeDee

JoeyDeeDee New Member

Hello, I’m new to this forum. I have two cats (Joey and DeeDee), and Joey was recently diagnosed with diabetes on 5/18/2020. I am a bit overwhelmed and I’ve been trying to research feline diabetes, homemade diets, insulin and insulin injections, and testing blood glucose levels at home. DeeDee may be pre-diabetic, so I am also trying to prevent him becoming diabetic. My vet recommended a site called BalanceIT for supplements and homemade recipes. Does anyone have experience with this site? Or any recommendations for other sites?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I’m not familiar with that site or the supplements in it. Are you wanting to make your own cat food? If so, a popular site is Foodfurlife. They have great customer support.
    Is Joey on insulin yet?

3. JoeyDeeDee

JoeyDeeDee New Member

Hello! Joey is not on insulin yet- I have an appointment on Friday to do training with the vet on giving the injections. Tomorrow is Memorial Day, so I have to wait until Tuesday to pick up the insulin at the pharmacy. Right now I’m feeding both of them Royal Canin Glycobalance wet food. Very expensive! And I want to make a superior food at home. Thank you for the site- I will check it out!

jt and trouble (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

5. JoeyDeeDee

JoeyDeeDee New Member

jt and trouble (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes it is and it's totally unnecessary. Most of us feed our own diabetics Fancy Feast Classics or Friskies pates. They're under 10% carbs, easy to find and a lot more affordable.

There's absolutely nothing in those "prescription" foods that treats disease. The whole "prescription" food industry is nothing more than a clever marketing tool between the manufacturers and the veterinary community.

Lots of great information on Dr. Lisa's website, including a chart that shows the nutritional breakdown of a lot of available foods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.