Johan maggie and connie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Johan E Symons, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johan E Symons

Johan E Symons New Member

Hi, everyone
    We have our Connie, (A rag doll feline ,not perfect)who has contracted diabeties
    She is 10 y old. The vet gave her lantus garg, and the needle is 12.7 inch long
    Iam on the same medication, but I use 4 mm needles. Can I use my 4mm needles
    On her. She takes 2u, 12hr, and I take 30u 24hrs

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Since she’s on Lantus, you can use any u100 needle. Are you injecting straight from the pen? Most of us use a regular insulin syringe and draw our dose from the pen, using it like a minivial. I tried 6mm, but found it hard to get through all that fur, so used 8mm for my cat. If you have no trouble with the 4mm I would think it would be fine. If you come to the Main Health Forum we can help you with Connie’s care with money saving tips and tricks to make things easier on you and her. Hope to see you there!

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I think you mean 12.7 mm long since 1/2 inch equal 12.7 mm

At least for BD syringes, the shortest needle length is 6 mm but the needles that attached to an insulin pen can be as short as 4 mm.
    Using an insulin pen with pen needles is OK for cats; however, pens for human insulins like Lantus only dose in one-unit increments. Very frequently cats require non-integral dosing. My Wiggles no requires between 0.1 and 0.2 units of Levemir and my Badger 0.7 units. Most og us her use an insulin pen like a vial and stick the end of the a syringe needle into where the pen needle goes and draw out the required insulin dose. Just note that this may introduce a little air into the insulin pen and the air will mess up the accuracy of the dialed dose o n the insulin pen. Thus, if you are going to use some of your Lantus for Connie then I would recommend using up most of the insulin on one pen for yourself and then dedicate the rest of the pen for Connie

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB Johan and Connie. This is the best place to find information and support while you are learning to treat Connie's diabetes. Since you indicate you are diabetic also, you know the three basic components of diabetic treatment, proper diet, insulin therapy and blood sugar testing. We apply the same to feline diabetic treatment.
    Please visit the Lantus forum here to read about how Lantus works in our kitties, and I'm sure you will find lots that will help you and Connie on this journey. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

Best wishes going forward :cat:

5. Johan E Symons

Thank you, I do appreciate your comment

6. Johan E Symons

Thanks ,I do appreciate your comments

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.