Joining the community

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah & Wubby, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah & Wubby

Sarah & Wubby New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm Sarah (a graduate student) and I have two amazing kitties who have been with me most of my life: Mable (17) and Wubby (14). Thankfully, my cats have lived happy healthy lives so far and are on track for many more golden years!

Unfortunately, this weekend Wubby was diagnosed with feline diabetes. He is such a sweet, fluffy, and goofy boy <3 I took him in for his check up with concerns about weight loss (he's a maine coon mix and is down to 11.5 lbs from 15 lbs), low energy, and excessive drinking. Its nice to have an answer, but it is definitely a little overwhelming figuring out what to do next.

I am fortunate to have a great vet to help us along through our journey! We are heading in tomorrow to learn how to properly administer insulin and discuss the care plan. Our vet gave me instructions to look over different dietary options for us to discuss tomorrow. Based on everything I've read, it seems like we will be transitioning to a wet food, high protein/low carb diet - which I think Wubby will do very well on as he loves canned food! I feel guilty that I didn't have my cats on an all wet food diet sooner after what I've been reading online.

I'm glad there is such a great online support group, and that my nervousness seems to be common among those with new dm kitties. I'm definitely ready to do whatever it takes to keep Wubby healthy and happy :)

Looking forward to getting to know you all,

Sarah, Wubby, and Mable!

cmonmiracle and beggargirl like this.
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! It’s great that you are doing some research in preparation for your meeting with your vet tomorrow! Let us know how it goes, and if you have any questions come over to the Main Health Forum and ask. Look forward to seeing you there!

beggargirl likes this.
  3. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

6. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

I have a Maine Coon mix too! I wish I'd been able to get her onto a wet diet sooner, because she loves it so much. Until recently, I just wasn't in a position to be able to afford that. I feel sad about that, but I'm glad my situation has improved and I am able to give her what she needs now. I keep reminding myself that we're all doing the best we can.

7. Sarah & Wubby

Sarah & Wubby New Member

How much a month approximately do you spend on wet food? I am really surprised how much more this is costing me :/ I used to buy a 13 lb bag of dry food for 15 bucks that would last the whole month ...

8. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

I have two cats. Cleo (my diabetic kitty) eats only canned food. Paddy (her brother) eats half kibble and half canned. We go through 3 cases of Fancy Feast per month. I order it online from chewy.com and it's about $14 per case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.