Jordan to get Prozinc today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jordan & Von, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan & Von

Jordan & Von New Member

I posted new info this a.m. under my original post re: Jordan off Vetsulin... We're going to see Vet#2 today. He'll give Jordan Prozinc. One question is will syringes used for Vetsulin (and Novolin) be ok with Prozinc? They are U-100 ultra fine 1/2 unit needles.
    When I called vets office no one knew the answer. Guess I will find out when we get there this afternoon. They asked me to bring one of the syringes.
    Are any here using Prozinc? Jordan was diagnosed June 2009. Was on Novolin first, then switched ( by Vet#2 ) to Vetsulin, it was recalled so today: Prozinc to be prescibed.
    I do not do home testing of Jordans glucose. I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I'm not home often enough to test him accurately, both vets he's seen have said I do not need to do home testing as results won't be accurate :?:
    Earlier in previous ( first) post I explained the situation with Jordan's back paws and a problem with both clumping and clay litters ( have tried almost every brand on the market).
    Any suggestions on cat litter for diabetic cat? He drinks a LOT of water & urinates often. When I get home from my caretaking job, ( I care for elderly family member and receive no pay), I measure amount of water missing from bowls. I have a healthy non diabetic cat in the home also. She drinks less water & eats less than Jordan. They've never been compatible & use different litter boxes & food bowls. Jordan's constantly hungry. He's finished the last of Vetsulin ( 2 units 2x daily) . Is Prozinc better? And any ideas on affordable cat litter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone here for all your help and support.

2. Terri & Tananda

Terri & Tananda Member

Hi Von,

Welcome to the Family.

I missed your last post, so I'm not sure of Jordans hind paw issues. But if you are having trouble with clumping litter, you may want to try something called Yesterdays News. It looks kind of like rabbit food and does absolutly nothing for litter box oder, but it wont stick to kittys feet. It is usually avalable at PetSmart.

As far as home testing is concerned, just remember that any numbers you can get will help you in controlling Jordans condition. A friend of mine learnd thet the hard way, when she sent ker kitty hypo by not home testing.

Good Luck
    Terri

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

If ProZinc is U-40 ( I suspect it is), then you can use either U-40 syringes or U-100 syringes.....

With a U-40 insulin and U-100 syringes, you MUST use the conversion chart to calculate what
    MARK on the U-100 syringe to draw up a particular dose of U-40 inslin.

If ProZinc is U-100, you can ONLY use U-100 syringes.

BTW....Vetsulin is U-40.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Per their site, ProZinc is a U40 insulin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.