Josie 3/6 - problems with antibiotic

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Holly and Josie, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

Reposting this from the health board, just in case someone here might be able to respond quicker.

My cat has a urinary bladder/infection and needs an antibiotic. We have tried 3 things and had problems with everything. On these boards I have seen two medicines recommended: Baytril and Zeniquin. If you have given your cats these meds, did you give them in liquid or pill form? (Not even sure if these meds come in both liquid or pill form?) If liquid, were there added sweeteners? My cats has problesm with this. (I would think a lot of diabetic cats would!)

I'll elaborate more on what's going on with poor Josie in a minute.

2. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

So yesterday's urine sample confirmed that Josie still has a UTI. She was originally given Clavamox, which gave her diaarrhea after about 3 doses. We switched to Albon liquid, which was sweet and made her blood sugar skyrocket a few hours after I gave it to her. (It took about 5 days to figure out that's what was going on.) She stopped that on Thursday and then Friday I took her to the vet. He said he couldn't feel her bladder and that he wouldn't be able to get a urine sample. She wet within 45 minutes of getting home. So much for having an empty bladder.

So yesterday I got a urine sample to the vet and she does still the UTI. I asked for Baytril or Zeniquin. He said he would give her Orbax which is similar to Baytril. It's the liquid form. I said OK.

Gave it to her this morning. It seems sweet, which concerns me. Will it raise her blood sugar like the Albon?

Within an hour and a half, my husband texts me and tells me she's crying and dry heaving. She stops after a few minutes and he says she seems happy. I have him test her blood glucose. 421, which is NOT normal for her at 9+. She was at 276 at 6+

So needless to say, she is NOT going to be taking this and I need something else. The vet will try to push the Covenia shot, which I don't want due to scary things I've read.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

4. kse

kse Well-Known Member

From everything that I have read...Convenia, even if you disregard all of the questionable side effects---- is not an effective antibiotic for Urinary tract infections. I will see if I can pull up some information and share with you.

5. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

Thanks for the link! I think I have skimmed it over before but I'll take another look in case there is something that could help Josie now!

6. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

Right! I read that, too. Plus it scares me that it seems to be dangerous.

Last night the vet gave me a choice: covenia or the Orbax. I went with the Orbax, especially since he said it was similar to Baytril. When I have asked questions about antibiotics before everyone mentions Baytril. So I'd like that, but I wasn't sure if I should ask for liquid or pills.

7. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I guess it is an owner's choice, but it is clearly stated on the front of my chart at the vet....NO CONVENIA!

I have had a lot of luck with zeniquin.

8. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

Was it liquid or a pill form?

9. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Pill

Check you pm

10. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

FWIW when Harley took Zeniquin it spiked his bg's. I did a search on pet meds and found a blurb that Zeniquin can make insulin ineffective in dogs so I assume it would be the same for cats. It also said that you might need to adjust the insulin dose while taking it.

The Orbax didn't seem to affect his bg's.

11. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

Thanks for that info. That's a bummer. I don't want to pay for another antibiotic that's going to create the same problems.

Maybe I should just ask for Clavamox again and add a probiotic. That was suggested to me by someone after I had already stopped the Clavamox and started the Albon. I don't want to upset her stomach again, but maybe the probiotic would prevent that. And Clavamox definitely didn't change her BG's.

12. Holly and Josie

Holly and Josie Member

Also, when Harley had the higher BG's with Zeniquin did you stop the meds or just adjust his insulin? I would consider just adjusting the insulin for the Orbax, but it really upset her stomach. She was dry heaving within two hours, according to my husband. Did your kitty take the oral suspension or the pills? Maybe the pills would work better for Josie.

13. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

We stopped the Zeniquin and went to the Orbax, it was a liquid, and we didn't have any problems with it but ECID applies here too I guess.

14. Angela&Henry

Angela&Henry Well-Known Member

My cat, Henry had the Covenia shot one time for a UTI ( before I knew how bad the side effects could be) and it did not clear up the UTI. I let my vet know, no Covenia for anything.
    He took Cipro in pill form 1/2 pill daily. On the plus side, the generic is very inexpensive and I filled it at my local Publix grocery, that offers free rxs for some antibiotics and this was one of them so it cost nothing.
    It cleared up his UTI both times he took it. He took it for 10 days I think. She said it was ok to crush it and add to his wet food, so thats what I did, ground it finely with pill crusher and I had no problem getting him to take it.
    Didn't notice any side effects like diarrhea, vomiting, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.