Josie, Unstuck

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jenna Josie, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Josie was stuck in the low 200s for so long that I was semi-convinced the meter was broken! I tested the civvie just to be sure, poor unsuspecting boy.

Given my expectation that *any cycle now* we would see that "high-and-flat-precedes-a-step-drop" phenomenon (it kept not happening . . . ), we only squeaked her up in tiny increments, and now she seems to have broken through overnight . . . Kind of interesting that she went from a +6 of 218 (from a PS of 229 :rolleyes:) all the way down to an AMPS of 151.

And, lo! Into the pretty greens at last!

And now I can't remember what to do . . . Hold the dose that was her breakthrough or shave off a tiny bit? I know that she wasn't in any sort of danger today -- just really pretty greens -- but I know also that sometimes they need to go down the scale after a break through, so . . . ? o_O :confused:

Thoughts? Insights? Advice?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Yay on being unstuck! :) I don't know if you are dealing with any special circumstances that impact things, but under "normal" (whatever that is) circumstances, I would not lower the dose unless I got a number at nadir that was too low or a pre-shot that was too low to safely give the dose. If either of those occurred, I would then lower. Your PMPS may be your decision point!

Jenna Josie and Djamila like this.
  3. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I definitely agree here and glad she seems to be “unstuck”

4. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Oh, she's seriously unstuck now! :rolleyes: PMPS = 75 :eek:

Stalling . . .

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

What?!?!? :eek::cat:

6. Djamila

That might be an indication to lower the dose a little. You can't see a low number, but we can take a pretty good guess that either there was one, or the cycle is running long (another indication that they are ready to reduce). You might just need to shave off a little and not do a big reduction. Depends on how fast she rises tonight and how the before bed test looks.

7. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi, Djamila!

I know, right?!?! She was probably in hypo range today. :( Any other cat I’d say definitely, but she does tend to “slope” rather than curve ...

Oh, your other post just came through. Yes, that! I’m going to do a second 30 minute stall (will test after first 30 here in a minute) bc I’m sure she won’t be high enough, and plan to shoot based on that next test at the top of the hour (which will be +13).

Of course it will depend, but I’m thinking 2.3 — ? Is that your thought, too, with “shave off”?

(Will post back in this space here in about 5 minutes ... )

EDIT: Okay! She's at 112 with a 30 minute stall. I did do the "Teasel Reverse" (TM), so that is a little food inflated, by design, but I'm still pleased with it. I will nonetheless test her again at the top of the hour and then shoot either 2.2 or 2.3, depending. I'm thinking 2.3 if she's at 130 or above and 2.2 if not.

Does that sound like a plan?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  8. Djamila

It's so hard to say. In general, I would reduce by 0.2u. But she was at 2.2F/2.3 for awhile leading into this and it wasn't enough. She might just be having a good couple of days, and will go right back up. In that case, I'd just take off 0.1u. BUT if she's breaking through something and sliding down the dosing scale for a bit, 0.1u isn't going to be enough and you'll be up half the night. How do you feel about sleep tonight? Given her past patterns, is she more likely to stay high and flat after a low cycle like this morning? (so maybe small reduction) Or is she more likely to keep responding until she settles down? (bigger reduction).

You're in one of those "dart board" situations since she's breaking a pattern. It's kind of a guess what she might do next.

From an outside perspective, scrolling through the past six months of data, my hunch is that since she's been around 2.1-2.3 most of the year, she isn't likely to stray far from those doses, so I might reduce back to 2.2F-ish for tonight (assuming she gets to a number you want to shoot on), and be able to sleep. Sleep is important to me. :smuggrin:

It also gives you just the tiniest bit more wiggle room if she does want to slide down more than I'm expecting right now.

Jenna Josie likes this.
  9. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

The thing is, she doesn’t really have patterns for this, or the last time was long enough ago that I am not confident it still counts as a pattern/precedent.

I also think she’s going to bounce ...

Still, I was up til 3:00 this am with Kyo’s bean, so maybe it is indeed best to play it safer and shoot 2.2. Sleep is important to me, too! :smuggrin:

10. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Oh, Josie. :rolleyes: She's at 151, which is high enough from the initial PS that I'm sure it's not just food influenced. Maybe the start of the bounce -- ?

Anyway, given that she's doubled her number in the last hour, I went with 2.3 after all. I'll certainly test at +2 to see I was being bold or not too bold (for you Spenser fans out there . . . ).

Djamila likes this.
  11. Lisa and little

:banghead::banghead: Sorry Jenna I feel your pain. It’s nerve wracking and frustrating. Sending peace your way:bighug:

Jenna Josie likes this.
  12. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

+2 is 209, so 2.3 was not too bold and we can get some sleep. Yay!

@Djamila I remember you once joking that my threads should come with some kind of disclaimer, so for people who may be new and may be lurking ... pretty much everything we did tonight was slightly on the renegade side of things. :oops: Specifically, the correct protocol on a low PS is to stall *without* feeding (so that the re-test number is “true” and not food-elevated), and it’s also pretty much not a great idea to contemplate shooting on a 130 unless/until you have lots and lots of data to guide you. / End PSA. ;)

And as always, thank you for your help tonight, Djamila! And moral support, Lisa! I’m so glad you still visit with us from L-Land. :bighug:

Djamila likes this.
  13. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

84 AMPS and just 87 with a 30 minute stall *and* the AC-guy showing up and clanking around on the machinery just outside her door! :confused::cat:

Stalling some more ...

14. Lisa and little

Oh Jenna. Why do workers always show up on the most crucial days?!! How is she after the 2nd stall?

15. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

It's almost as if they know! She also likes to throw a curve right before a holiday weekend (vet closed) or before a trip. :rolleyes:

She's only at 118 and we're at +13.75 . . . (I didn't intend to stall so very long, but the AC guy was here!). I'll going to give her another 30 minutes and then . . . shoot something. Don't know what yet. I guess I'll figure that out!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  16. Lisa and little

They totally know!! My girl is famous throwing me a curve ball on long weekends and days I’m going out of town.actually all my kitties have been. I’ve lost 3 babies over the years at the ER vet on July 4th, Memorial Day etc... as for Josie, you know what to do. 118 isn’t much different that the 133 I see you have shot on before. Good luck I hope she behaves herself!

17. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I went with 2 units bc 1) while I’ve “experimented” enough to know that I can safely shoot a full dose on a 130, that’s when she didn’t go low the previous cycle, and I don’t know how low she went overnight :( She looked just fine (her usual too-high, even) at +4. Who would have expected her to drop more than 50% from there at that point?! And bc 2) she pulled this trick a couple of times (both at PMPS) back in April under the same dose/circumstances: 1st time, shot 1.6, and that wasn’t enough; 2nd time, shot 1.8, and that wasn’t enough.

2u seems to have been pretty good so far though I probably could have gone a smidge higher, but I couldn’t stay home with her and so didn’t consider it safe. She’s in the 160s at +7, so (despite her evident late nadir!) I think she’ll be good for a slightly early PMPS (want to start working back to her actual shot time after her super-long stall this AM).

Depending on that, of course, I think I’ll shoot 2.2, which will be a 0.1 reduction from last night, when she may very well have been close to lime even though we didn’t catch it.

18. Lisa and little

How’d she do? I don’t see PMPS YET

19. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I forgot to put it in! 227 @11.25, so she did well! I'm going to hold 2.2 (barring any curve balls!) for a few cycles and see what she comes up with . . .

Thanks for checking in with us! :)

20. Lisa and little

Hoping she behaves for you today. Finger crossed