Joys needs Info

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Duke, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke

Duke New Member

Hello Our Joey is 11 Yo. Male Tabby 10.5 lbs He is now being treated for Diabetes this all started some 8 years back with a skin Problem, Back then he was given Depo this worked well every 3 months till 2 years ago. but 2 years back Our new Vet said NO more" because Joey had diabetes and was most likely caused by the long term use of Depo. so my Wife and I started him on 1-unit of lantus every 12 hours, this lasted about 2 months and he went into remission, that was Great, SO we move and took joey to the New Vet in our new area. this Vet with Joeys records in hand Gives him a Depo shot! well Guess What the Diabetes is Back with a Vengeance, he has Highs and Normal's BS. he will be 145 BS then jump to 400, we are using a I health meter using a paw prick for testing his BG. we started him back on 1 unit every 12 hours and he is still Having highs in the 300+ we Just don't Know what to do, Oh he Has been on very low Carbohydrate wet food Hills WD in a very structured diet, Thanks for any Help
    Virg and Cindy in Pahrump Nv.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the FDMB! It's the best place you never wanted to be!!

Sorry to hear your vet did such a stupid thing, but hopefully we can get Joey back into remission (or at least better controlled)

W/D is NOT low carb!! It's actually quite high at about 25%! (and the ingredients in it are really lousy). Unfortunately, a lot of vets suggest it for their diabetic cats because they believe the spiel that the pet food salesmen tell them.

Most of us feed plain old Fancy Feast Classics or Friskies pates....they are affordable and much lower in carbs than W/D (although there are lots of other choices....check out this Food Chart for foods under 10% carbs)

It will be really helpful if you'll start keeping track of his blood glucose numbers on our spreadsheet. We're very data driven here and the spreadsheet often holds the answers to the reasons for what look like crazy numbers!

Here are Instructions for setting up the FDMB spreadsheet but if you have any problems, let us know! You can add the link to your signature when you have it.

3. Duke

Duke New Member

Thank you for your time and info, after looking at the food charts I see that the Vets Office sold us a bill of goods,Can Cat food that was not for Diabetic Cats. We had been using Fancy Feast for a very long time, Joey is not doing well at this time he will bounce from 140 to 400BS in a snap, he started pulling his hair out ? He does not look good, we are thinking he may need to be put down. this Brakes our heart!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Don't make rash decisions about putting him down.... We can help!

Step 1 get him off the perscription food. When he was having the original skin problems did they determine WHY? What caused it? Many times its because of a food allergy. You could try a low carb novel protien food like rabbit. He could have a chicken or fish allergy. Natures Variety had duck, lamb, venison and rabbit. Here's a food chart. Pick foods under 10 percent carb. https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Setting up a signature and spreadsheet would help us help you.

step 2 set up a signature. Click on your name at the top right corner and choose signature. Add info such as your pets name, age, date diagnosed, insulin type and dose, food you're feeding, meter you use, and any other health concerns and medications.
    This way we won't ask you the same questions repeatedly.

Step 3 will be setting up a spreadsheet with the bg readings. Here's a link to do that. If you have trouble setting it up let me know and I will tag someone that can help set it up for you.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

5. Duke

Duke New Member

Hello and thanks for your time and Info, we found something that might interest the Group,
    Costco sells canned Chicken 0-Carbs, We are thinking we can get about 4 feeding from one Can its about 3.50 a can. we bought the Fancy Feast classic but the Walmart here is limited on flavors, is Grilled OK and chicken with gravy? My wife said it could be reniced before serving? to help cut down on the Gluten. I did try to add a signature it would not let me post kept saying to many lines all it would take was what I have in place now I'm not sure how everything works just bare with me Please, started Joey on Fancy feast Chicken that was one of his favorites took him off what the Vet said to use The Hills WD. getting Joey to eat he loves to eat. he came down to 90BG about 5 hours after his Lantus shot he ate then 3 hours later he was at 325BG so its a wait and test and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.