Just a quick hello from a newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LRJ, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LRJ

LRJ New Member

Figured I'd come out of lurking mode, and say hello to everyone, while waiting for the next BG poke...

All started around 2 months ago with limping, and not quite on her toes. And disappearing muscle on her back end. Given her age, I didn't want to immediately shell out for tests. Limp seem to be caused by an arthritic knee. So my vet put her on glucosamine. Just as limp seemed to get a little better, peeing frequency and volume went through the roof. And the food didn't stay down for 2 days. Figured that out at vet closing time on a Wednesday. She spent the next day at the vet and was confirmed diabetic by day's end (UTI was also diagnosed). Spent a second day at the vet in order to figure out initial dosing/feeding. Was told diet had to be one of the two standard vet recommended DM foods. I know from experience, she doesn't do well with chicken-based foods, so opted for the one that was pork. Started reading online here that night... Needless to say, food got switched pretty quickly. Although she had (unknowingly) been on a pretty low carb diet with the EVO, but I immediately stopped the Fromm's dry.

Knock on wood, so far, although it is Tuffy's first curve post-inuslin start up, readings are looking very normal, and will be passed along to the vet in the morning. (Although I have no idea of what levels were at the vet's when she was diagnosed. Was in shock over the bill, and the diagnosis, so details like BG readings, if they were provided at the time, did not get absorbed, lol!)

She doesn't have complete neuropathy - she's not walking on her toes, but not completely on her hocks, either, but can't wait for her to finish her UTI antibiotics, so that I can see if methylcobanin (sp?) makes any difference. ie. how much of the limp is arthritic vs diabetic.

Just about time for the next jab!

Greetings to all from Canada!
    Lisa

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Methylcobalamin - check out Vitacost as 1 source. There is a negligible amount of rice flour in the capsule, so if given with a meal, it should be no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.